Operation Flashpoint Dragon Rising OFDR Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

custom sounds and ambient lighting

4 posters

Go down

custom sounds and ambient lighting Empty custom sounds and ambient lighting

Post by TheGeneral Mon 11 Feb 2013, 00:46

Ok sorry guys I've posted again today! so I'm back on the top of the
latest topics again! As soon as you read this can someone write
something to get my name of there please. lol!

Anyway, here's a treat for you dewi,

Everything
you are about to see is custom made and placed in the mission editor
using what is available to everyone who uses the editor. There are no
after fx, no overdubs at the end, it is all part of the game-play,
including the song. It was relatively easy to do. The hardest part that
pissed me off the most was the actual recording.

enjoy!

TheGeneral
TheGeneral
Admin

http://maniacaldog.wix.com/keepdralive

Back to top Go down

custom sounds and ambient lighting Empty Re: custom sounds and ambient lighting

Post by dewi316 Mon 11 Feb 2013, 18:11

Well what can i say, the word awesome is used alot these days, adj inspiring slang excellent or outstanding. All of those words fit, the lights switchin on inside the barracks was mental, and you could see the PLA chargin out. Totally loving the oil drum fires aswell, PLA guards will never be cold again, lol. Then the airfield strobelights and the antenna not too mention the thunder fx and background music worked a treat, one small critic the radio message was a little bit too fuzzy if im honest, other than that Mdog you must be buzzin mate. This has lifted battle scenes inside the villages at night 10x in my opinion great work mate. Off to watch again only seen it seven times might of missed something.
dewi316
dewi316
Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGeneral Mon 11 Feb 2013, 20:41

I appreciate the praise dewi! thanks alot. I'm more chuffed to be honest with the way I coded it.

The runway lights still are not perfect but you don't see it in the video. I want to be able to turn them off when I leave the zone but haven't quite figured it out yet. TJ give me some code to use like a switch "on"-"off" affair, but I need to work on it with his help abit more.

The radio chatter was my own recording and it was a first attempt. I could have done it better and I know how to do it too, I just didn't want to last night because I'd spent the best part of five hours working it all out from start to finish.

I didn't really want to use that song because I was saving it for the DRZ game I want to do. But I could redo it later on in time I suppose, but I have a few ideas I want to do over the next few weeks so watch this space.

Also, I have got some great ambient combat sounds to use in game aswell, I know how to mix it now with the game volume too so it won't be as imposing as the radio chatter I did.

Those oil drums I have done before a while back. I also have a
streetlight effect too as an mssn file that i can drop in as a module I
reckon.

To tell you the truth mate, anyone of the community can do what I have done in that video. It is actually really simple to do and doesn't take much working out at all. Obviously if you haven't coded for DR in anyway shape or form then it may be a bit daunting, but trust me after awhile it kinda slots into place.

Anyway, glad you liked it, I had a feeling you would, I just didn't expect that much praise for it. I'm humbled thanks.

watch this space.
TheGeneral
TheGeneral
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by HomerPepsi Tue 12 Feb 2013, 07:22

Excellent work Mdog! To bad we can't get those textures extracted from the win_000 files! Then you could make zombies rast! Possibly fast zombies too!
HomerPepsi
HomerPepsi
Veteran

http://filebeam.com/folder/10717

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGeneral Tue 12 Feb 2013, 11:06

cheers dude!

Yeah, even me and TJ tried to change the faces from the dead bodies entities and replace them onto the pla units. But no joy on that, kept crashing or not working visually at all.

Watch this space there is more to come. Wink
TheGeneral
TheGeneral
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by John J. Stevens Wed 13 Feb 2013, 09:05

in the words of Ted - "Most excellent!"

those little touches really add SOOOOOO much to the general feel of the mission. Dewi hit everything I would comment on.

So the strobes are working for you with a standard triggerzone? - you might try writing it as a basic distance check or cansee n one of the regular timers. I been away for a bit so my code head is nowhere near me at the moment.
John J. Stevens
John J. Stevens
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGeneral Wed 13 Feb 2013, 22:17

I have been trying to figure out the distance code but I can't quite do it, I want to do it more for soundfx more than anything.

The lights btw are actually a tank shockwave particle effect. I wanted to do a strobe lighting effect too, but I was having a few complications in marrying the two effects when I went into the triggerzone. I'll work on it though.

I basically was trying to make the strobe lighting flash in a circular motion or a sequential pattern sort of like starting at north, then going south, north east, south west, East, west, south east, north west, then repeat.

The strobes particle effect themselves have their own kinda flashing pattern anyway, so I think the "off" cycle was conflicting with the timers. I'm not sure tbh. but I think you get the general idea.

On a slightly different note to do with custom sounds I have found some great effects for distance bullet cracks and radio chatter, so I will be playing around with those aswell asap. Could have one up tonight I reckon if not by the weekend anyway.
TheGeneral
TheGeneral
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGeneral Thu 14 Feb 2013, 02:27

Here is a work in progress of the Bullet crack that you are supposed to here if under real enemy contact.

TheGeneral
TheGeneral
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGeneral Thu 14 Feb 2013, 16:36

I think the video speaks for itself in this one!

TheGeneral
TheGeneral
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by HomerPepsi Thu 14 Feb 2013, 17:59

Excellent work, Mdog!!
HomerPepsi
HomerPepsi
Veteran

http://filebeam.com/folder/10717

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGeneral Fri 15 Feb 2013, 02:11

You should've seen my face when i did the first test. I thought it was xmas. This is what gets me about this game we CAN make things happen and when things do happen it adds another level to it completely. I'm like Tjdagger, I really enjoy the creativity involved in this and doing things like this is what has drawn me in further.

Don't forget I'm not a pc whizz by any means, TVig and Tj will back me up on that! I just mess about with things and try to work it out theoretically in my head, have a go and if it works I'll try and remember that format. Which is what you are seeing me demonstrate in my videos.

FMod is a pan in the ass, I'm using OWP which is fucking brilliant for this stuff. it is simply a drag and drop affair. All I need to do is find the clip somewhere on the net and edit it if I need to in Audacity and bung it into the OWP file. Then trigger it in game. SIMPLE!

I am going to tweak this though, there are few minor changes I want to make to it. But hopefully??? fingers crossed, When Tj draws his eyes on it, he can help me modify it very much like the napalm effect we came up with.

At the moment the gun run is just a spawned in set at a defined place on the map and in a defined direction. I shouldn't think he would find it that hard to make it the same as the napalm except without the incremented arc's. the napalm spreads out like a fork in three lines, this is just a straight line and is the right amount for the length of time you hear the GAU fire for.

I've tested this on the bridge near the lumberyard with a moving tank, (visually it LOOKS AMAZING!) but there is still some work I need to do before it makes it here.
TheGeneral
TheGeneral
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by dewi316 Fri 15 Feb 2013, 20:07

Mdog wrote:Ok sorry guys I've posted again today! so I'm back on the top of the
latest topics again! As soon as you read this can someone write
something to get my name of there please. lol!

Anyway, here's a treat for you dewi,

Everything
you are about to see is custom made and placed in the mission editor
using what is available to everyone who uses the editor. There are no
after fx, no overdubs at the end, it is all part of the game-play,
including the song. It was relatively easy to do. The hardest part that
pissed me off the most was the actual recording.

enjoy!

Would like too see this vid again but could you hang about in the village for the fire fight, just so we could get a good look at the huts lit up.
dewi316
dewi316
Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGeneral Fri 15 Feb 2013, 20:13

Tj has worked out the on - off switch for the runway lights now so i was planning on doing another update for it. I have played around with some other lights too so they will be in it also.

The way it is coded now makes it alot easier to handle and place the values inside tables instead of doing it the way I had done which was very old school beginner code.

I don't know if I'd last as long though this time around??? I have UAI2011 installed. lol!

I also have an update on the A10 clip to release. The first clip I did was a few sounds placed together so it does sound a bit "heres one sound, now another, and we're back to the first sound again" you may not notice until now, but thats what I could here every time I watched it.
TheGeneral
TheGeneral
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGeneral Sun 17 Feb 2013, 16:47

Ok guys! gotta another version of the A10 for ya! this time there is pilot chatter and it is omni-directional for the gun run too. I was able to modify tj's code for the napalm and Fook me it worked first time!

TheGeneral
TheGeneral
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 17 Feb 2013, 18:14

Very slick mate. Can't wait to try it out in your next mission Smile
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by dewi316 Sun 17 Feb 2013, 19:27

That is BEAST, A10 for the win everytime.
That radio chatter was spot on aswell, must say the audio of the A10 approach is much better than the first vid excellent work.
Call in the HOG affraid
dewi316
dewi316
Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGeneral Tue 19 Feb 2013, 11:47

There is a new idea on the horizon. Ariel support inbound! wait one!
TheGeneral
TheGeneral
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down