Squad orders

Go down

Squad orders Empty Squad orders

Post by dewi316 on Tue 12 Nov 2013, 20:06

I hope this topic may spark a discussion on Squad tactics and there roles on the battlefield.
These ideas may already be programmed into the game, if so has anyone tweaked these files?

What I'm thinking of is during a fire fight what are the specific roles and priorities of each fire team?
Should a sniper team assault you, or seek cover and or high ground? Should medics hang back to heal the wounded, what are the engineers orders?
Basically what are the roles of each fire team and do these orders and priorities differ radically from other fire teams?

One idea was if you were tasked with assaulting an enemy base once the fire fight had started, and you were maybe getting the upper hand could the enemy use smoke grenades more? put this tactic higher on there list of priorities once they were losing, this would obviously slow your attack and give the enemy more time too manoeuvre and take up defensive positions and send out squads to flank your known position, all whilst you can't see what's going on.

I haven't played a game with smarter AI than DR, but I also think this could be improved a little as well, would be great too hear other peoples ideas on this as I don't think there's a wrong answer just great ideas.

cheers    dewi
dewi316
dewi316
Veteran

Back to top Go down

Squad orders Empty Re: Squad orders

Post by TheGeneral on Tue 12 Nov 2013, 21:36

Team roles or fireteam member roles?? you kinda asked that in a way of relating to both at the same time.

Snipers, are the recon and information part of any fireteam, squad, platoon or battalion. They are sent out as a pre-lim to the main attack or to take out a high value target. Thus the need for cover is essential to their role. They are distance shooters we all know that! They don't tend to get into combat unless compromised or are given orders to shoot an HVT. They are the masters of stealth and concealment. A mission may require them to get up close an personal to the enemy or enemy camp, maybe for sabotage reasons, so the likelihood of them coming into combat is much higher.

Medics do tend to hang back, have light combat gearbut double up on medic supplies. A fire-team doesn't necessarily have a designated medic. All units in a fire-team should be trained in battlefield first aid so they can heal each other. For game purposes this is different to keep the flow of the game obviously. If you are on about a fire-team full of medics, you got the wrong thought there my friend, you might as well put an ambulance in the AO. 

Engineers are a tricky one for me, they are more the mechanical minded, they may be supplied with vehicles to help do the job of building bridges etc etc, bomb disposal maybe (EOD is I think part of the logistic corps in UK forces). Engineers tend to build bases etc, The REME as they are known in the UK are Royal Electrical Mechanical Engineers so things like fitting plugs is there bag. lol!

The ones that do the main assaulting are usually the infantry, or Elites, such as USMC, Royal Marines etc. But in these regiments they have their own divisions, such as Mortar squads etc which sit back and wait for orders to drop shells on the enemy.

I think Templar was working on his AI to do things like that. Make both sides react more to the varying situations, defense against offensive more, use of smoke and flanking better. He didn't complete it sadly.Neutral 

you are right Dewi the game does have well programmed AI, but its a shame we can't do everything we want. We'll just have to chip away where we can.

It is quite possible to make a mission where those roles you are talking about are used in that fashion, I'm not sure myself how to make sure the AI use smoke effectively and make decisions based on situations. They do make some decisions, but I know what you are talking about. you want to force the enemy in a defensive counter attack by using flanking methods and smoke cover.They should be a way, afterall the command radial gives and order for units to flank and there are commands in the editor to let you code it in game. Maybe worth a look at modulating possibly for the EDx.

MD

tvig0r0us wrote:Thanks to everyone that has supported and stuck with OFDR along the way. It is a great game and is largely under appreciated, but those of us that love it are happy to have others to enjoy it with.

tvig

Squad orders Nst_md15
TheGeneral
TheGeneral
Admin

http://maniacaldog.wix.com/keepdralive

Back to top Go down

Post by dewi316 on Tue 10 Dec 2013, 20:02

I was wondering if anyone knows if there are files that could be looked at regarding the armour in game?
I was thinking in relation to threat assessment, do the armoured divisions employ any tactics at all? As you all know the threat is called in DR, " Jeep west 200 meters" Should a Tank sit back and shoot at the target Jeep,  or charge in and Boss the situation?
Anyone know if these files exist?
dewi316
dewi316
Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGeneral on Thu 12 Dec 2013, 10:45

well I think maybe because tanks and other Armour variants have the ability of thermal vision and long range fire capabilities, they are more likely to stay where they are and give distance fire cover for advancing units.

Armored vehicles are considered to be valuable assets on the battlefield so I wouldn't think they would want to go charging on on a target only to get wasted by AT weaponry.

tvig0r0us wrote:Thanks to everyone that has supported and stuck with OFDR along the way. It is a great game and is largely under appreciated, but those of us that love it are happy to have others to enjoy it with.

tvig

Squad orders Nst_md15
TheGeneral
TheGeneral
Admin

http://maniacaldog.wix.com/keepdralive

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum: