Operation Flashpoint Dragon Rising OFDR Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What is the latest EDX version?

4 posters

Go down

What is the latest EDX version? Empty What is the latest EDX version?

Post by tjdagger Sun 29 Dec 2013, 03:11

To Tvig,
Hi mate, I was looking over the latest lighting module you sent me and I noticed... if EDX:getPlayerLeader() == unitName then ... 
My version of the EDX doesn't have this command in the "waypoint.lua". 
Also how does this command differ from OFP:isPrimaryPlayer(unitName)? ...beside the fact that it returns the unitName.

On another note... the little red marker that appears in the bottom left corner of the map. I know you know the cause of this and it's been bugging the hell outta me whilst testing. I can't recall if it was to do with code calling something that was not in play or if it was to do with a possible external AI or other mod?

A quick thought on the lighting mod. If on onSpawnReady, all particle effects where registered to a table, then when on onObjectDamage, if the distance between each particle effect was checked against the returned guid. Any within close range could be turned off. Testing would determine the range limits. 

Anyway cheers.

tjdagger
Admin

Back to top Go down

What is the latest EDX version? Empty Re: What is the latest EDX version?

Post by tvig0r0us Sun 29 Dec 2013, 04:00

https://operationflashpoint.forummotion.com/t201-the-editor-expansion-kit#2267

It's buried in the back of the EDX thread.

Hope we can all catch up soon.

Cheers Very Happy
tvig0r0us
tvig0r0us
Admin

http://www.moddb.com/members/tvig0r0us

Back to top Go down

Post by tvig0r0us Mon 30 Dec 2013, 02:16

Just noticed the last part of your question.  OFP:isPrimaryPlayer will only test true if the player passed to it is the host AFAIK.  EDX:getPlayerLeader will return the name of the player unit that is in charge regardless of who is hosting the match.  This applies only to the players whose units are registered in the EDX using EDX:registerPlayer and EDX:registerPlayable.  Hope this clears it up.

Cheers Very Happy
tvig0r0us
tvig0r0us
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by tjdagger Mon 30 Dec 2013, 02:57

Hmm, I always worked under the assumption that if the host was dead, OFP:isPrimaryPlayer would look to the next player as the primary automatically. But I may be wrong.
Edit: I am wrong because I've had to use...

player_Named = EDX:getPrimaryPlayer()

if OFP:isPrimaryPlayer(unitName) or (not OFP:isAlive(player_Named) and OFP:isSecondaryPlayer(unitName)) then...

...to solve similar situations.

Cheers,

PS, got the right file now too, OFDR EDX v20131015

tjdagger
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by tvig0r0us Mon 30 Dec 2013, 04:59

We'll have to catch up tj. Every time I look over this thread I see another question or point you threw out there with your first post. The little red dot is caused by the detection settings in whatever AI mod you're using.

As far as the lighting goes, as long as the guid returned can be used to either get a position, or get a distance, your proposal could work in most situations. The only problem might be the amount of memory the book keeping takes. You know how the engine likes to puke when it eats too much.  pale 
tvig0r0us
tvig0r0us
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by tjdagger Mon 30 Dec 2013, 05:38

Speaking of puking, with too much... I've just been pulling my hair out, thinking Tvig what have you done. BUT as usual it's me at fault, closely followed by CM.
As it turns out 12 secondary scripts are too much... 10 seemed fine and 11 is borderline issues.
If you remember "The Perfect Plan" had 11 2ndary scripts. At the beginning of the mission not all things would spawn in at the start, and each time it was not the same things that where missing.
After reverting back to and fro to older root scripts and eliminating other possible causes, it seems that 10 scripts is a max limit. I cannot yet be sure if it is the number of scripts or overall code content. 
But problems I encountered included... 

CTD at mission startup

12/30/13 15:07:30: DEBUG [waypoints]: timerTable not present ... message followed by crash

not all spawning in and other times no problems (rarely).

The question is, will combining scripts together resolve the issue or will too much code simply be the issue. I'm leaning towards the ability to manage and track a large number of scripts being the issue. The total content of all scripts combined is only about 6000 lines (excluding the waypoint.lua) of code. I've previously wrote single level scripts with 12000 lines without issue, however that was prior to EDX. 

I discovered this issue whilst putting together a modTemplate.mssn file for myself. There is nothing on the map except the mod related entities, player and scripts. So I don't believe this issue is related to memory overload as nothing much is spawning and being tracked by recorded data. 

Anyway hope this helps and not hinders.

PS... I'll have to catch up and go through my AI stuff with you... I don't know what the hell I got in there or what even should be any more. I have been running your AI config files and am quite happy with them, but there is defo some residual stuff from elsewhere.

Cheers and oh... this is all Dewi's fault.

tjdagger
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by tjdagger Mon 30 Dec 2013, 11:03

Update, I think the problem was a module script had become corrupt. Stuffed if I know. My head hurts.

tjdagger
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by tvig0r0us Mon 30 Dec 2013, 11:15

It would appear you've found the script limit... I've always wondered what it was.  I definitely think that combining is the solution since you and I've both had much larger scripts than 6000 lines without major issues that we could attribute to the engine.

One of the files in the AI has some code near the top of the file that pertains to a falloff rate or something like that.  If that falloff rate is more than 0 the AI will hardly reset a detection when loosing track of a target.  That can also cause the corner of the map thing if I recall correctly.  I'll have to go over those files again to try and remember exactly what does what.

Nice job on finding the script limit buddy.  I always knew you'd find a way to break it  tongue 

Cheers Very Happy
tvig0r0us
tvig0r0us
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by tjdagger Wed 01 Jan 2014, 07:19

WOOOHOOO! BABY!
Back in business... I must admit I was utterly gutted to think that I had reached the limit and even more so when all my (hours) re-organizing and blending of scripts failed to provide any encouraging results.
It turns out (my fault again, lol) that if you call...

Code:
scripts.mission.waypoints.registerFunction("functionName") 
without actually having the function present in the script, it will behave as all the above mentioned problems.
Whilst re-writing some older scripts I had left in 1 (one, just 1. One f#$@ing lousy sh#t ar#@d line) of these obsolete functions register calls. After determining the order that the scripts where registered, I realized that it was only the last called script that didn't always register. The second last script to register contained the issue. 

Tvig. EDX is awesome when I'm not breaking it.

PS. Script limit? ...the jury is still out on that one.

tjdagger
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by tvig0r0us Thu 02 Jan 2014, 19:06

TJ... I was thinking about this issue you have exposed. I want to see if I can throw an error instead of freezing the initialization of the script in case a function is absent as you have described. Did the error produce any kind of log entry when you ran into this? There is an error logging entry built into the registerFunction, but I want to know if it actually produced an error in your case.

Cheers
tvig0r0us
tvig0r0us
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by tjdagger Sat 04 Jan 2014, 14:55

There didn't register any errors in the edxdebug.txt file.
It's as if a memory limit for the total file space for secondary scripts is reached. 
My heads been out of it for the last week or so. 
Hope to catch a chat on skype... it's been over 40 degree Celsius hear this last week and to hot to think.

tjdagger
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by tvig0r0us Sat 04 Jan 2014, 15:58

So we haven't ruled out an upper limit on secondary scripts? This problem manifests when you make a registerFunction call without the function being present in the script you're calling from... am I understanding this correctly? Put some ice on your head and think man!!!  Razz 

We definitely need to hook up on Skype. I'll be on and off so catch me if you can.

Cheers Very Happy
tvig0r0us
tvig0r0us
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by oANIMUSo Mon 11 Aug 2014, 05:43

confused uhmm...  i need closure. please?
oANIMUSo
oANIMUSo

https://www.youtube.com/user/oANIMUSoTube?feature=mhee

Back to top Go down

Post by tjdagger Fri 22 Aug 2014, 03:55

My Goodness!
Fancy seeing oANIMUSo back here.
How are you mate?

Closure huh?

I tell you what, my pc hard drive failed shortly after that last message. I though I had lost everything. At least everything leading up to my uncovering of the issue.

Only just yesterday did I install a new hard drive, put the OP system on it and hook up the old drive to see if anything was recoverable.

I copied my entire DR folder onto my new drive but that is all I did. Haven't looked at it. Don't even have audio drivers installed yet, lol.

I'm unsure as to how to proceed. My head is so far removed, not even sure I want to enter the all consuming world of DR tinkering. 

Did my hard drive fail for a reason?

I've been enjoying Skyrim and the mods created by others in my downtime on my laptop of late. I purposely stayed away from modding it myself too.

tjdagger
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Regg Sun 24 Aug 2014, 22:22

It's good to hear from you, dagger! Even if you never touch the mission editor again, it would be nice to have a shoot sometime. I've only played DR once since your hard drive crashed! LOL.

Cheers, mate!
Regg
Regg
Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down