Operation Flashpoint Dragon Rising OFDR Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Anyone want to get serious about this?

+3
dewi316
TheGeneral
John J. Stevens
7 posters

Go down

Anyone want to get serious about this? Empty Anyone want to get serious about this?

Post by John J. Stevens Sat 22 Dec 2012, 12:19

With all that has happened over these past few months, it seems that our community has taken a big step from the original DR.

Between whole island sandbox missions, ingenious prop reuse to an extensible SDK for designers and modders, I would argue that Dragon Rising today is hardly Dragon Rising at all.

While I have broached this in discussions with others, the more I review the path of other groups with dedicated players the further along we seem.

In fact, if we look at D-Day, This Is War or SLT through a different lens between the cinematics, gameplay, AI, and sheer additional functionality what we have is a DR version of Project Reality (of sorts).

Basically, we have the potential of INTRODUCING these types of MISSIONS to a larger mature community of users if we package it that way.

Tvig has been using ModDB which is great - Desura compliments that and COMES WITH a mod installer!! More importantly, by rethinking our approach in this community we can effectively leverage our skills to "release" something collaboratively.

My pet name for this is PROJECT: DRX and if you are interested and more importantly have something to contribute just chime in.

Over the holidays, I plan to release a broad outline as to what we can do to "legitimize" all this work in the MOD community and garner additional players that have an interest in this style of digital warfare. Worse case, we have some kickass missions with material we can point to!

Anyway, the time is right and hope other agree that moving forward is better than not!
John J. Stevens
John J. Stevens
Admin

Back to top Go down

Anyone want to get serious about this? Empty Re: Anyone want to get serious about this?

Post by TheGeneral Sat 22 Dec 2012, 13:55

Most Definatley!

I can't say I'd be great at making missions due to a complete lack off intelligence and down right thickness with code.

But I would certainly like to contribute in one way or another.

The progress over the past year has been phenomanol and it beggers believe what we can do next. By the looks of it us few that are left seem to be the only modders around now. Even in the other forums, it was mainly us doing all the work. So asa group we should band together and make ourselves known as worthy contributors to the game that we all love.

I love the sig and avatar. if this is the case for everyones agreeance, should we adopt that signature as a collective maybe?
TheGeneral
TheGeneral
Admin

http://maniacaldog.wix.com/keepdralive

Back to top Go down

Anyone want to get serious about this? Empty Re: Anyone want to get serious about this?

Post by Guest Sat 22 Dec 2012, 14:17

Count me in.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by dewi316 Sat 22 Dec 2012, 14:56

If Codemasters released this game now, I mean with all the mods the community have made,this game would be shooter of the year. What we need now is a good script writer, a story line similar too Red River, Sgt Knox, I liked his no nonsense attitude, tell a story of a squad of men fighting there war, Sgt, Engineer, Sniper, Medic. A campaign maybe 15 missions long,all good storys have a begining middle and end. (Stealth night mission, Rescue mission, Ambush protect the convoy, Attack the base then protect the base daytime, Attack the base protect the base nightime, reduced enemy vision night optics.just a few ideas. Where This is War and Island War are the ultimate for seasoned Dragon Rising players, this maybe a bit daunting for new players, this is where a more focused campaign will work i think (go here and do this) also from what templar was saying his new orders script will take this game too a new level again, If he"s not making Island War 3, we need that code from him. Anybody with a few storyboard ideas for missions could email there ideas, hope this is the sort of thing you meant John, anyways just my ideas cheers Dewi.
dewi316
dewi316
Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGeneral Sat 22 Dec 2012, 15:32

just to make you all aware! Temp is stil making IW3 he has been really busy with work and is pretty much ready to release a beta test. He is around not completely off the radar as before. I ahve emailed him about here aswell so he should be aware of what is going on here. Wink
TheGeneral
TheGeneral
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by John J. Stevens Sat 22 Dec 2012, 16:39

Some great initial input there guys!

Rather than update every minute, it is probably best to let this collect input for a while.

DEWI makes a good point related to a compilation of missions related to a storyline. The idea of "guest" mission designers throwing in their adaptation would change the feel from mission to mission.

There is one very important cornerstone to doing an honest to goodness ready for Prime Time release. There are some intellectual property rights that CM throws at us by simply using this orphaned game that we purchased. The most serious of this is an implied claim of ownership of derivative works. What this means is, to present a top down mission and story that is a product of the community and not claimable by CM means we remove all description of DR as we play it.

What this means is there is no Dragon Rising, or General Han, and definitely no Operation Flashpoint - references to Skira should be Kiska the real island (no trademark there) and conflicts can coincide with real history and our own alternate reality.

What we can leverage is an underutilized game engine with fixed assets, a relatively nondescript island terrain, and a Chinese/PLA faction that we can use to author new missions with a significantly updated scripting aids.

Whether we kick off with a packaged sandbox experience leveraging some completed missions or take our time to cultivate a series of guest missions and unique story line is all open for discussion.

Understanding that I threw a curve in there with the IP issue, but that small but significant difference to approach will safeguard the sweat equity others have invested to bring it this far.

John J. Stevens
John J. Stevens
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 22 Dec 2012, 17:19

Count me in John. Although I'm pretty inexperienced at mission editing (my first mission is currently being tested), I have loads of ideas for missions as well as a few storylines. In fact, my first mission is intended to be the first of a small campaign. Perhaps this could be used as a sub-storyline, similar to the way it was done in the original OFP:CWC with sub-plots based around different characters in the same conflict. I'm sure I'd be no good to you as a novice mission editor, but I'd like to contribute in some way, even if it's just creating story boards/plots etc.

RC
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGeneral Sat 22 Dec 2012, 18:44

I like the idea of a blank canvas for us to play with when we have to think about copyright issues.

Maybe we could rename the towns through the config files?? SearchAndRescue was able to change the text colouring or something and produced clearer font for them somehow. Maybe we could look into that.

On real world ideas and conflicts I think the Korean War might be a good one to look at for some ideas. Might be a different country but the people look the same. lol! that shouldn't make much difference.

come to think of it, what you are talking about JS is similar to what my idea of Project Genesis is with Tjdagger. It was a set of campaigns that would be story driven and freeroam at the same time, eventually encompassing the whole island.

Myself and TJ have some great ideas for the next round of releases, but they are not coming soon, if this project takes off then I think all that work will end up gelling into your idea, which isn't a bad things it's probably the way we were meant to go. With the Edx and modules being worked on, this could truely be something big.

Tj advised me to break away from my zombie idea for the time being and focus on the modules to see how easy it is. Trust me guys if you are saying you got no coding ability,YOU DON'T NEED MUCH AT ALL! Just have an idea, whack those modules in, follow the instructions and you'll get a mission out of it. My point here is simply open the ediotr and have a go and if we get a good few things together and utilise what we have available we'll all be mission making and building together a great package.

I like the idea of having various story driven missions for the average gamer to shoot hell out the pla, and having swing in different directions from various people will only add to the dynamics of what we could produce.

Here's a thought, if everyone here gets to grips with the the edx and the modules, we could even split the mission making in half. One side does the US and the other does the PLA, given a whole new way of fighting a battle. Kinda like chess really except the outcome will be depicted in the gamplay not by one person saying the "US one this mission now move on the next!" that would really make for interesting gameplay and creation. TJ's bunker and mortar gives you the ability to dictate what side you want the bunkers for. Very handy for the mapmaker!

I'll stop rambling now!
TheGeneral
TheGeneral
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by nfmz1 Sat 22 Dec 2012, 19:12

I have npo clue what I could possibly offer but im in if needed

nfmz1
Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post by tjdagger Sun 23 Dec 2012, 01:15

Can and willing...
    1. I can translate abstract Ideas and concepts into visual formats (Advertising)
    2. I can code very specific functioning modules that are self contained, easy to use and do not conflict with each other
    3. I can translate & build from concept to mission
    4. I can play nice with others... mostly

Not so much...
    1. All the legal stuff
    2. Trolling sites and forums for PR purposes... I'm a home body, and this is my home.
    3. Beating the promo drum and shouting from the rooftops... except for the visuals

Warning...
I am the, don't bother talking to me if I look busy, cause you'll be ignored, type.
I'd like to think I'm always open to ideas, but and I may occasionally shut you down and point out your faults whilst considering my own faults irrelevant. I apologise in advance, the great thing about marriage is you develop an appreciation for just how annoying you can be and how thankful you should be that you found someone willing to put up you.

I believe we have a great little passionate community here with a broad range of skills and talents, some waiting to be discovered. A good idea or even a good word when things are tough can be the most valuable contribution. Encouragement and constructive discussion are what keep a project alive. It's unrealistic to think that we won't have any disagreements, but wouldn't that be boring. What would drive you to prove em' all wrong, then?

Count me in!

My current focus, as time permits, is to continue creating modules.
I would suggest some of the guys struggling with the code take a look at getting setup with Edx. Have a play with the modules being released. ASK QUESTIONS if your not sure. Simple for the guys creating them, but it's all new for some of you.
Being able to place the different elements on the map in the right proportions, distances apart etc is just as important to mission design as the code that runs it. Perhaps some of you guys have a real talent for this and the code was holding you back?

Merry Xmas to all, and have a safe holiday, GB.

tjdagger
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by nepgeargo Thu 21 Mar 2013, 16:23

This will be awesome! But i want to know if there is any chance to add some cities and buildings into skira,or make a completely new place like a huge city or small country, then we can make something like battlefield, tank battles, cqb, etc... the only things i dont like about ofdr are that there are too less towns and buildings, and a lot of vehicles had been disabled with no reason. Codemasters should never have abandoned this awesome game...
nepgeargo
nepgeargo

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGeneral Thu 21 Mar 2013, 20:20

Making more towns or larger towms, adding buildings etc is a dream for us if we could. Making countries is not gunna happen unfortunaltey.

Templar did a mission that involved you going from east to west and pushing the pla back as you advance with a large force. Might be worth a look. Also Tvig has This is War and SLT, check those out and you may find something along the lines of what you are looking for there in terms of large battles. Also D-day by myself and TJdagger is worthy of play, thats a large battle scenario, with added bonus of taking the airfield from four different areas, each having outcomes that affect the other.
TheGeneral
TheGeneral
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by oANIMUSo Thu 21 Mar 2013, 22:05

OmarTheBattlePizza wrote:But i want to know if there is any chance to add some cities and buildings into skira...there are too less towns and buildings...
You mean something like this?

Or how bout this Omar?
oANIMUSo
oANIMUSo

https://www.youtube.com/user/oANIMUSoTube?feature=mhee

Back to top Go down

Post by nepgeargo Fri 22 Mar 2013, 18:03

oANIMUSo wrote:
OmarTheBattlePizza wrote:But i want to know if there is any chance to add some cities and buildings into skira...there are too less towns and buildings...
You mean something like this?

Or how bout this Omar?

im sorry i cant see the things uve posted... =/ what are they?
nepgeargo
nepgeargo

Back to top Go down

Post by oANIMUSo Fri 22 Mar 2013, 21:50

I can see them in your post as well as mine. Is youtube working for you? If so just click my signature, and in the OFDR Projects playlist you will find those vids. CoastalFort and Blenheim
oANIMUSo
oANIMUSo

https://www.youtube.com/user/oANIMUSoTube?feature=mhee

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum