Operation Flashpoint Dragon Rising OFDR Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Why Dragon Rising Kicks Ass!

2 posters

Go down

Why Dragon Rising Kicks Ass! Empty Why Dragon Rising Kicks Ass!

Post by Guest Mon 17 Dec 2012, 12:26

Many that have been a part of the OFDR community have seen me around in one capacity or another. I've made missions, tested missions, played coop, tried to mod and help out with the maze of code. More than any other game I've ever played, Dragon Rising has captured my attention and brought me together with great people that share my passion for the game.

To me, this is why the game is awesome:
1. The action always draws me right into the screen. I always feel like I'm part of the game and the action is around me. The movement of the player in the game world draws me into the environment and the sound cements an already immersive environment.

2. The command elements of the game have always drawn me in. Unlike GRAW, which I really loved, Dragon Rising steps it up to another level with the squad level control. It's obviously not the only game to have this, but combined with the action, I can't think of another game that so completely combines a first person shooter with a rts with such believability. This to me is one of the strongest elements of the game.

3. The huge world. To this day I'm finding little nooks in the hills that inspire mission ideas. The terrain is diverse. A wonderfully rendered environment, that to be honest, reminds me in some ways of the place that I live IRL. The trees and plant life are similar, which goes a long way towards drawing me into the game.

4. The mission editor. Even though it took some time to understand how to manipulate events in the game, the mission editor is as powerful as they come in my opinion. The learning curve can be steep, but more than any other part of the game, this has also brought people together. I truly hope we will be able to keep setting new standards when it comes to making the editor accessible and easy to use. We've come a long way already.

5. The ai, for all of it's faults, is probably some of the most impressive ai I've seen in a game. I've played my fair share, but the ai do an outstanding job in taking cover and making some sort of tactical decisions. If you tweak the ai files right they become even more impressive. Since I've yet to find the game that has totally humanlike unscripted ai, I'll have to stick with the ai in Dragon Rising being among the best out there.

6. The community missions are awesome. We've managed to consistently redefine what makes this game great by coming to the table with new and innovative ideas for missions. I'm confident that the community will continue to reinvent the game with its continued efforts to create new content.

These are the things that come to mind for me when I think about why Dragon Rising kicks ASS!! What are your reasons?

Cheers Very Happy
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Why Dragon Rising Kicks Ass! Empty Re: Why Dragon Rising Kicks Ass!

Post by TheGeneral Mon 17 Dec 2012, 20:47

For me the game is the be all and end all of shooters in terms of being able to create your own scenario. That was the mani reason I wante dthis game on the pc. After playing it for quite a while non-stop on the consoles, I was finally able to my hands on a copy and run it as best I could in my pc. I'm still getting to grips with the editor, Mainly the coding side of it, but the ability to make things happen how I would like them too is a one of the best things I have seen come out of a game.

There could've have been more in the way of other units and vehicles for the game but we all know that isn't going to happen. We manage with what we have and are able to create some really diverse stuff, from a full on assault to a quick fire shoot and scoot mission, but not only that we can make other things like the classic PAC-Man, (I'l get round to it mate don't worry), plus a zombie mod. People have made some really unexpected things with the little props we have in the editor and we have been able to get them to animate very well. Like Parachutes, Sat Cams, Zombies, Tunnels, the list goes on.

The versatilty that this game gives is brilliant if only there was more for us.

this game draws me in much the same way it does for Tvig except I don't have a backyard that looks like the game. lol! Anyway, when I play it I want to survive and it makes me think "I need to think to survive a firefight in this mission" . Thats what the CODs and BF's don't do they just numb your skull with pulling the trigger every five seconds and make you play for rep points instead of playing for the sake of completing the mission properly.

I love this game and always will, Just wish my pc wasn't so half arsed to run it on low settings.
TheGeneral
TheGeneral
Admin

http://maniacaldog.wix.com/keepdralive

Back to top Go down

Post by nfmz1 Wed 19 Dec 2012, 12:44

First, one of the main things was when you ran up that hill in one of the stock missions with the APC's and **** was dropping around you and bullets flying you didn't have time to think you had to react and that is one of the things I found refreshing in OFDR. You have to have basic combat common sense or you get your butt handed to you. I play a million other games and always come back to DR just because of that reason. You can play the same mission over and over and it constantly changes.AND if you play like a tard, the game will hand you a helmet and point you to that little yellow bus you need to be riding on.

Second is the user created missions are some of the best BAR NONE. Daggerdog Productions, TVig, Templar, SAR, VS, and everyone who ever made missions throughout the years built some great missions! They EVOLVED DR into an even BETTER game. I don't know how many people I turned onto missions and they were like woooh THIS ISN'T THE GAME I BOUGHT. And I am like NO, This is the Community the GAME has built. I don't say it enough but you all are some of the best mission makers and I would put you all up against anyone else in any other game.

Third is the mods and tweaks. Considering you all have NO SDK, NO ONE to pass you the code you tore apart this shell and built it up from the inside out. You took outside Ideas like the HOTKEY and added a WHOLE new dimension to the framework of the game. Templar pioneered a TON of stuff but alot of you took those items and made them nuclear.

So after all that rambling those are the things that makes me love Dragon Rising. I look forward to 2013 for the community.

nfmz1
Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGeneral Wed 19 Dec 2012, 12:58

thats a really nice read that NFMZ. The game sure has evolved since it was released and the community got its hands on it.

@tvig, the game really does suck you in. I play tested Rockcops mission last night, and I found myself thinking like I was somewhere like Afghan or Iraq. theres alot of guys in one place and boy did I have to duck and cover.
TheGeneral
TheGeneral
Admin

http://maniacaldog.wix.com/keepdralive

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down