Operation Flashpoint Dragon Rising OFDR Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

ArmA Veteran Speaks

5 posters

Go down

ArmA Veteran Speaks Empty ArmA Veteran Speaks

Post by Palyarmerc Tue 14 May 2013, 21:05

I'm an Armaholic Modding Veteran. Not much I don't know about ArmA. But hasn't this thread gone in the wrong direction?? We want Arma stuff in DR right. Why is there post about what we can do in ArmA?

Isn't this thread supposed to be about trying to get DR modded to an acceptable standard and make it worthy of attracting good tactical FPS players?

DR and RR are worthy of modding, that's the main thing. It does belong on the list with the best PC Tactical FPS's out there.
There are already two very extensive ArmA forums with everyting you need to know. Personally, I'd like to see this forum filled to the brim with every slice of information relevant to improving the Dragon Rising and Red River for newcomers like myself.

This is the last stand, the ONLY place on the net for OFDR. I bring to DR everything I've learned in the last 10 years from modding DFX, SWAT4, GHOST RECON and ARMA, but while I'm here, I'm strictly a OFDR man.

cheers
Palyarmerc
Palyarmerc

http://nomandown.co.uk

Back to top Go down

ArmA Veteran Speaks Empty Re: ArmA Veteran Speaks

Post by TheGeneral Tue 14 May 2013, 21:43

I can be very blunt and to the point and SEEM angry at getting out my point at times so I'll get that in for starters. But, I do like to be honest with people.

Well! here's the thing we few in the community here have found a passion for a game, that as you can see, superseeds anything else. The Forum was built initially with just OFPDR/RR in mind and that was it.

Quite a few people including myself have found that there is a very hostile reception regarding any mention of OFDR in the Arma forums. Its a very fickle bunch of fan boys over there that really don't like the word Operation Flashpoint Dragon Rising. It has lead to many staying away and using this as their gaming home.

But then in saying that there are quite a few of us that simple like playing shooters and thats it, no matter what shooter it is. Arma is one of them and A3's Alpha release has managed to feed the thought of trying to develope DR into a similar game but keeping it apart of our community to save offending anyone over there. Hence the message for logging in the forum.

We collectively came to the decision of making a forum for the build of a DR/Arma game using the build tools that Arma has to deliver and use our well adversed knowledge of DR and combining the two!.

At the end of the day we like both game franchises here and are not the tpe of people to willing go out of our way to sabotage anything one or the other has to offer. If it happens then we'll deal with it. We just want to enjoy the game/s as much as possible and see how far we can go with DR in its current state.

We have a number of people here that have a various skill sets with gaming and coding that each little snippet from everyone helps to develop what we ALL like to play.

Unfortunately we can't mod RR as much as everyone would like but as you can see we have made DR a much much bigger game and a great contender for anything that is relatively new. Bit of a bold statement but we have a acheived soo much in the past two years, more so the last year that DR is leaking with potential and we are finding it bit by bit.

Arma on the other hand can let us have different troop units, various different factions vehicles, weapons, a bigger sense of realism etc etc, so thats why the thought of making DR in a Arma environment appealed and making a thread to support all that work we decided needed to go up. It could take near two years for it to be completed but at the end of the day, we all like both game types and wanna keep things here without having to cause issues and create a wider void.

We will welcome Arma fans , but simply put! we won't stand for the slating of DR because we don't slate Arma.
TheGeneral
TheGeneral
Admin

http://maniacaldog.wix.com/keepdralive

Back to top Go down

Post by Regg Tue 14 May 2013, 21:44

Palyarmerc wrote:This is the last stand, the ONLY place on the net for OFDR. I bring to DR everything I've learned in the last 10 years from modding DFX, SWAT4, GHOST RECON and ARMA, but while I'm here, I'm strictly a OFDR man.

cheers
Hoo-wah!!!

Glad to have you on-board, mate!
Regg
Regg
Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGeneral Tue 14 May 2013, 21:46

Regg wrote:
Palyarmerc wrote:This is the last stand, the ONLY place on the net for OFDR. I bring to DR everything I've learned in the last 10 years from modding DFX, SWAT4, GHOST RECON and ARMA, but while I'm here, I'm strictly a OFDR man.

cheers
Hoo-wah!!!

Glad to have you on-board, mate!

yeah I wrote so much then I forgot!

Ditto!
TheGeneral
TheGeneral
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Palyarmerc Tue 14 May 2013, 23:03

Nearly everbody migrates to ArmA in the end. All the players of Tactical Shooters I know have.

Let's face it Codemasters are the real culprit. They just bang out games. Bohemia Interactive are unique, DR will get old and ArmA rambles on.
On the upside, to bring Skira Island to ArmA could be all that is needed for those of you that still play together and need something fresh.
I just think you're better off migrating to where you can learn to do that and leave this place for DR.

So you played and enjoyed OFDR. So it led you to ArmA. Everybody wins. And when you do, after a year or so, you'll be able to argue with the best of them all the great features OFDR had that ArmA sucks at. Trust me on that one. ArmA has without doubt the slowest, clumsiest player control and the most brain-dead AI I've ever encountered in a game.

And that at least you will boast as fact if Skira Island is ported to ArmA3. That needs to done at least. Very Happy
Palyarmerc
Palyarmerc

Back to top Go down

Post by oANIMUSo Tue 14 May 2013, 23:36

Welcome Palyarmerc,

Not to worry, the Main OFDR threads at the top of home page are staying on top. This section is about using the tools of A3 to mod what we cannot, like adding models specifically. Unless you have the expertise to quietly crack their encrypted files, we are locked out from fully modding this game. We've been reduced to cobbling existing models together to look like new models. The purpose is not to make it like Arma. We still want to preserve the DR atmosphere or vibe when it's finished. Basically simulate what it would've been had CM continued to actually finish the game.

RR is actually the reason this game was never properly wrapped up. They took the best of it's developers over to work on RR before DR even hit the shelves. By the time community feedback was being responded to, They're main people were deep into RR and could'nt be bothered with us. Not placing blame on them, but they're CM handlers.

As more people wish to head for Arma in the future, this is more of a way to preserve our community. Don't get me wrong. This game has loads of untapped potential. But it'll take a very long time to realize that potential with our limited numbers. If we still had a large community it would be like a snowball effect at this current stage. The EDX being the most brilliant creation since the games release, would've inspired collaborative efforts that were to cumbersome to tackle in it's beginnings. And that's just one example.

You actually are probably the perfect person for helping such a project to happen. I hope more people with your enthusiasm for milsims show up to our humble little community. We'll be here as long as Mdog lets us. And there will still be people squeezing out something new every now and then. That's just the nature of this beast. People get burnt out and take breaks, and then someone pops up with "Look what I can do!" The Mission Editor is like a game unto itself with unlocks and leveling up.
oANIMUSo
oANIMUSo

https://www.youtube.com/user/oANIMUSoTube?feature=mhee

Back to top Go down

Post by Regg Wed 15 May 2013, 00:02

oANIMUSo wrote:The Mission Editor is like a game unto itself with unlocks and leveling up.

LOL Razz

I can barely finish making a mission cause I'm too busy playing with all the modules and goodness available because of the EDX! (Least not I mention dealing with the endless list of gripes the community has been trying to overcome for nearly five years now.) Since joining the community, playing with code and the mission editor is half the game for me. Just need to blow off some steam and kill PLA whenever the editor or game won't behave proper!
Regg
Regg
Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post by Palyarmerc Wed 15 May 2013, 01:18

To explain my comments further, and, speaking frankly...(just sticking my oar in, hope you don't mind)

I understood this area to be where ideas from ArmA would come to DR to be implemented. Not the other way around.

It might never amount to more than it is right now. Or by much. But there are more missions to create and there is still loads that might be achieved here.
Rain, denser fog, better NV goggles, Environment Sounds, Missions with new Speech, etc.
I'm sure one or two modders from other games will drift in (there's still some very good modders playing Hidden & Dangerous 2 and Ghost Recon Classic, bless 'em).

Nope. I think this site should concentrate wholly on DR & RR. And not because we don't appreciate other games, but because it can become the No1 source for all information, mods, missions and a meeting place for players of this game.

Clans can change the next game they want to discuss or play, but here? here it should be strictly Operation Flashpoint : Dragon Rising / Red River.
I'd drop all references to Operation Flashpoint Original too. It'll only rattle cages and has nothing to do with Operation Flashpoint 2009. As we all know only too well.
Palyarmerc
Palyarmerc

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGeneral Wed 15 May 2013, 02:33

The section are staying! Just because they have no relation doesn't mean they can't be promoted. If the arma community don't wanna be apart of "our" work then i'm sure we won't lose any sleep over it. Like I said we like these games and we as a community have built this forum to our liking.

We decide things as a collective as much as possible. These sections were created because people wanted them. I had reservations to begin with if you read the dragon ascended thread. Although I set up this forum, it is not my forum, if I decide to leave this forum I would let someone else inherit the responsibility of managing it from an admin point of view.

If the arma fan boys get upset I can post a quick note saying this:

WARNING
Restricted Area
This site has been declared a restricted area by the authority of Commanding General, Commanding Officer, Officer in Charge, in accordance with the provisions of the directive issued by the Secretary of Defense and in the interest of the public good. Unauthorized entry is prohibited. All persons and avatars entering herein demonstrating a lack of decorum by Whining, Complaining, Trolling and general FanBoy Behavior are prohibited. Any such infraction relating to any and all similar bellyaching and general lack of maturity will be banned with full prejudice.
Have a nice day!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TheGeneral
TheGeneral
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by John J. Stevens Sat 13 Jul 2013, 12:00

To resuscitate this thread and in support of what both views are saying - I bear a responsibility in promoting the DR/ARMA here on our board.

At the end of the day, the only thing that separates the two franchises is how each publisher chose to support their community of players AND a sense of ideology in tactical warfare software design.

Whether it is ARMA, DR, CWC, SWAT, BF2 or CS - what made the game enjoyable was its sense of squad play, working as a team, and overcoming the enemy.    The players that come to DR and stay found that level of mission play more times than not.  

If you look at the dominate players genre out there you have COD/MW3/BF3 with a majority of RunNGun Adrenaline junkies, the ARMA high tech providing everything under the military sun along with a regimental mindset.  

DR provides a balance between the two and while we still HAD our share of PVP/DEATHMATCH players those that stayed, settled into a more squad level infantry style of gameplay. 

THAT sense of gameplay more than anything is what I see our community promoting the most.  Many of the missing pieces that we haven't been able to develop for our needs are available with ARMA tech allowing us to focus more on mission design.    Additionally, with ARMA tech if there is a specialized script needed for some untapped functionality, it can be developed.

So to summarize, we don't want to bring ARMA to DR but rebuild DR with ARMA tech - because in the end it is all about the mission.

As always, welcome any additional input!
John J. Stevens
John J. Stevens
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down