Operation Flashpoint Dragon Rising OFDR Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

To the members of this community

+4
TheGeneral
dewi316
John J. Stevens
tvig0r0us
8 posters

Go down

To the members of this community Empty To the members of this community

Post by tvig0r0us Wed 16 Oct 2013, 13:39

Hello all.  I wanted to issue an appology to all of the members of this community that I left hanging when I pulled all of my stuff out at the beginning of the year.  That was a selfish move on my part and I'm not particularly proud of the fact that I did that.  I've remained in contact with some of you behind the scenes and I've always come here to browse the forum and watch for new developments.  As of late my interest in the game and develping for it has been rekindled by the potential for new developments and my general love and addiciton for this awesome game.  I've spent plenty of time messing around with Arma and a couple of other titles, but the simple fact is that Dragon Rising is the ****, no matter what they say, it always draws me back.

All that being said, I've been working on improving the EDX and I've even been creating modules for it, albeit a slow process.  I'm in the process of researching the newest developments regarding bringing buildings in through the editor, but tbh, it's not looking good on that front.  Either way, this game and this community still has life and that's really all I need to know to keep me interested.  I hope to be able to chat with you all and maybe even conjure up a game or two in the near future.

Long live DR baby!!!!

Cheers Very Happy

tvig0r0us of the "Not so trusted"
tvig0r0us
tvig0r0us
Admin

http://www.moddb.com/members/tvig0r0us

Back to top Go down

To the members of this community Empty Re: To the members of this community

Post by John J. Stevens Wed 16 Oct 2013, 15:19

Welcome back!
Very Happy Very Happy Smile Very Happy Very Happy 
Shocked 
John J. Stevens
John J. Stevens
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by dewi316 Wed 16 Oct 2013, 17:35

Welcome back tvig. Cool Very Happy
dewi316
dewi316
Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGeneral Wed 16 Oct 2013, 22:48

Welcome back mate!

Nice to see you have a change of heart on the community! I knew you wouldn't be gone forever and that DR would draw you back again!

Pm'd

Very Happy
TheGeneral
TheGeneral
Admin

http://maniacaldog.wix.com/keepdralive

Back to top Go down

Post by tjdagger Thu 17 Oct 2013, 01:56

G'day m8

tjdagger
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by gvse Fri 03 Jan 2014, 07:45

I know tvig posted this back in Oct, but if you're still around then im just curious: what makes DR better than Arma. I stopped playing DR 1 or 2 years ago: fondly remember the MP days of playing Infiltration with 32 peeps, but apart from that I haven't looked back.
What new developments do you speak of?

gvse
Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post by tvig0r0us Fri 03 Jan 2014, 11:45

gvse wrote:I know tvig posted this back in Oct, but if you're still around then im just curious: what makes DR better than Arma. I stopped playing DR 1 or 2 years ago: fondly remember the MP days of playing Infiltration with 32 peeps, but apart from that I haven't looked back.
What new developments do you speak of?
The short answer to this question is the intensity of the firefights in this game, although that would not be the only thing that keeps me here.  There are obviously a lot of areas where DR fell short, but some of the fundamental areas of the game are solid and the fact is that an intense firefight in this game puts me on the edge of my seat unlike any other game I've ever played.  The arma series, for all of the things it had, is riddled with issues as well.  I appreciate the way BIS keeps working on it, but there are some fundamental issues with that game that just put me off when I mess with it too much. 

Even for all of the screwy things you encounter when editing for DR, it's still much easier IMO to get the ai to cooperate in this game than it is in arma.  Performance in arma is pathetic.  I'll give it a bit of a bread due to the scope of the game, but for goodness sake, it just runs like **** for me.  I put $400 into my machine to upgrade it for A3 and I still get 20-25 fps in an engagement involving roughly the same number of entities that I can put into DR.  The primary difference being that DR is still as smooth as butter with the entities maxed out and a lot of complex code running.  I also think the ai in arma is absolutely terrible.  I'm really not sure what they were thinking with it.  The only thing that it can do well IMO is shoot from long range, if it shoots.  You can often walk right up to an enemy ai in arma and dance for it before you shoot.  Getting the ai in arma to follow orders is a chore in comparison to DR also.  I think the interface, despite its limits, is far better in DR than it is in arma.

I could keep going, but the point really is that each game has its high lights and low lights, but the fundamental elements of a fun video game for me are there in DR.  I've been splitting a lot of what little time I have between the two games, but the truth is that when I want to have a good time, it's Dragon Rising.  When I want an exercise in general frustration and logistical nightmares, its arma.  TBH, a better question might be, why do I keep going back to arma??

Cheers Very Happy
tvig0r0us
tvig0r0us
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by gvse Fri 03 Jan 2014, 12:45

fair enough. there are many aspects of A3 that need improvement, especially performance.
My experience with AI is quite different, though, as I usually make cqb missions, and the reaction time and awareness of ai have been getting better recently. It's true that AI in DR can be impressive as I remember a short mission by Templar, where you had to retrieve a piece of intel from Madlenka(?), and the firefight really tested your reflexes.
The built up areas and enter-able buildings in A3 must factor in making the game and AI more of a challenge to program than DR, though.

gvse
Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post by tvig0r0us Fri 03 Jan 2014, 12:54

It's a topic worthy of debate really.  There are things about both games that I really like.  I don't think DR got a fair shake with a lot of people, even though at face value, the game is a really good game.  It's all subjective in the end.  In any case, glad to see you back on the scene.

Cheers Smile
tvig0r0us
tvig0r0us
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by nfmz1 Fri 03 Jan 2014, 13:59

As a life long owner of everything BIS I can say they make crap games. BUT they make the ONLY games of these types so what do you compare it to? There is nothing. 

Dragon Rising isnt ArmA which is totally true but what it is, is a good working game that only because the devs gave up on it did it not get bigger and better. If we had the same modding capabilities as ArmA think how DR would be. 
For what DR is, which is a 4 man team based game it does that really well. I can go down the list of stuff about ArmA like the fact ArmA 2 didnt even work upon release but since ArmA fanbois are like Ground Branch fanboys they refuse to see it as a problem (But god forbid anyone else have that same issue like DR which they pounded it for)

The fact that BEFORE ArmA 2 even ran well they announced a DLC, wait a STAND ALONE DLC then released ArmA 2 free which they gave... ZERO support for. So they said here is ArmA 2 Free but it sucks and we don't support it.

ArmA 1 wasnt much better. I had a Dev tell me ArmA 1, which i owned 2 copies of because for the first 6 months they didnt release it in America that ArmA 1 was only a money maker to build ArmA 2. true story. So I spent 110.00 (not including Queens Gambit) for a game they were really only releasing to make money on. Which pretty much was abandoned as soon as ArmA 2 released. 

So after ALL this rambling all i can say is ArmA 3 isnt the be all end all. Matter of fact the Alpha ran better than the actual game does.

nfmz1
Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post by tvig0r0us Fri 03 Jan 2014, 14:37

nfmz1 wrote:Matter of fact the Alpha ran better than the actual game does.
In my case, this is an absolute matter of fact. If they could get it to run right on more hardware, it could be great, but for me it's not even worth playing right now... I'm only disappointed because I like the game, but the attitude I've seen of late on their forums gives me little hope that it will get any better than what it is, which is a complete disappointment.
tvig0r0us
tvig0r0us
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Morieza Fri 03 Jan 2014, 15:52

...attitude ?

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?164351-Dragon-Rising-Bloom
Morieza
Morieza

Back to top Go down

Post by gvse Fri 03 Jan 2014, 15:53

Back to DR, what really stands out is the lack of built-up areas and even then, their fragility (so much is destroyed by shooting exploding barrels). Plus, if you try to make up for it by building structures then the engine craps out on you due to its entity limit.
I remember back then that Templar said it wasn't possible to put buildings as playable structures in the editor. Any hope of that happening after all?
And don't get me started on the moddability of this game: if only it were possible, this game would shine with hi res textures and custom units and what not.

I looked at the modded editor but I still need to come to grips with the modules. Seems like a great idea: respect to you guys for getting it done.

gvse
Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down