Operation Flashpoint Dragon Rising OFDR Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Island War 2017 - Ultimate Artificial Warfare

+7
dewi316
TheGeneral
HomerPepsi
tvig0r0us
WhiteShadow230
John J. Stevens
rscaper1070
11 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Island War 2017 - Ultimate Artificial Warfare - Page 2 Empty Re: Island War 2017 - Ultimate Artificial Warfare

Post by HomerPepsi Sun 05 Feb 2017, 07:19

Thanks Templar for the throwback lol. Good to see everyone is still kicking PLA ass. Very Happy
HomerPepsi
HomerPepsi
Veteran

http://filebeam.com/folder/10717

Back to top Go down

Island War 2017 - Ultimate Artificial Warfare - Page 2 Empty Re: Island War 2017 - Ultimate Artificial Warfare

Post by TheGeneral Mon 06 Feb 2017, 18:48

Nice to see you back on the boards Homer! Hope  life is  kicking good now.
TheGeneral
TheGeneral
Admin

http://maniacaldog.wix.com/keepdralive

Back to top Go down

Post by TemplarGFX Wed 08 Feb 2017, 12:32

Hello Everyone!
Another week and lots more changes! I decided to keep working until I get the mods tweaked, balanced and finished.

Time of Day and Lighting
I've been going over the sun position to stop it from, well stopping in the middle of the day!
Sunrise has been moved from 4am to 5:15am and Sunset has been moved from 9pm to 6:30pm giving much more realistic day cycles!
Night time has had a full re-working of lighting to make it proper dark, and NV essential.
Foggy-ness has been increased significantly and includes full cloud adjustments for more weather variety
*video coming, I uploaded the wrong one XD*

Stealth Mechanics
AI mechanics related to Audible and Visual Detection have been redone from the ground up to create much more realistic perception. 
Movement speed is very import
ant for remaining undetected, as well as keeping quiet!

How Detection Works
Each unit carries a "Detection Meter" that ranges from a value between 0 and 50.
Every time a unit sees another, a value is added to the seen units Detection Meter.
If any value is added to a unit's meter it becomes "Suspected", if it is seen again, the unit becomes "Detected". The meter can be increased even after being detected so that the more the unit is seen, the longer enemies will search it's last known position to try and see it again once lost.

Sound plays a big role in detection also, especially your characters voice, ensure you set him to whisper (ROE - Fire on My Lead or Return Fire) if you don't want the PLA hearing him shout "Rifleman, 200m!"
Crouched movement is alot quieter than Standing, and the AI will hear you walking around unless you crouch.

Suspected Vs Detected
When a unit becomes "suspected" it is not yet known. a position is recorded where the unknown unit was suspected, but no information about the unit's army, type etc. The AI will look at these positions (or move to look at them) and then look around, before returning to what they were doing.
Once Detected, as long as the unit is visible its position is known to all enemies, along with its type in realtime. Once sight is lost, a marker is left at the last seen position representing the unit, and will last until that units "Detection Meter" reaches 0.

Movement Mechanics
Adjustments have been made to how you move (see the above video for an example).
Walking (which is actually jogging) is slightly faster, and Sprinting is faster also, but Fatigue will build much faster meaning you can actually run shorter distances in quicker time.
Crouching has also been adjusted to make crouched "walking" much slower (enough that you are not heard by the AI, and slow enough to make crossing open space in this manner time consuming). Sprinting while crouched gives much more speed, but also increases fatigue and sound beyond detection limits

Health and Damage
The Amount of Health each body part had was set so that the damage dealt by bullets killed realistically, but this meant the visual damage that can be applied to units rarely actually got applied by the game. I have reworked the system so that each body parts Health value represents the % of blood in that body part, with the number of simultaneous wounds a weapon can make controlling the severity of damage dealt by different ammunition.
The result is much greater range in both actual and visual damage to units. From light "scratches" to heavy grievous wounds to full on dismemberment!

All weapon impact forces have also been revamped so that when a shot connects, it looks like it
To go with it, explosive weapons have been adjusted so that they don't all-up vaporize the targets (its pretty gruesome! hence the lack of SS)

Finally taking shots to different body parts affects the Ai in different ways. Light shots to the arms won't do much, but bigger hits will cause the Ai to fall over. Shooting them in the legs will do the same thing. Severe leg damage will prevent them from standing entirely!
Big hits also cause concussion which prevents the Ai from doing anything for a few moments and all weapons cause a lot more suppression.

Island War itself has been the testbed for all these changes, and the new features mentioned in the previous update are working really well and stable now as well as more tweaks to behavior for better gameplay. Weather is the final hurdle before release, with a few fixes to Dawn and overall fog thickness to finish it off!

TemplarGFX
Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGeneral Wed 08 Feb 2017, 12:54

I think my dream is coming true. That stealth mechanic sounds awesome. Can't wait to try it out.
TheGeneral
TheGeneral
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TemplarGFX Thu 09 Feb 2017, 01:05

Mdog wrote:I think my dream is coming true. That stealth mechanic sounds awesome. Can't wait to try it out.

It has had so many surprising effects on Gameplay!

I focused on night time and did all my testing there, but day-time fighting has improved immensely also!

Detection used to take several "sights" to go from not-detected to suspected, and a few more to go from suspected to detected.
Now that one sight is suspected and two are detected the AI react to you so much quicker. Only at night do they do that quart-second "uh" look before reacting to you.

I also fixed up Line of Sight more so that they lose LOS immediately instead of after a second or so. Because they react so quickly when reacquiring it wasn't needed anymore.   This means when you go behind something they stop shooting, until you show your head again. So if they are using explosive barrels for cover (as stupid as that is) they won't shoot them and blow themselves up!

Combine this with the adjustments to physics "filtering" which is basically how see-through something is. fighting in dense forest areas is a lot less frustrating. They lose sight of you as much as you do them and use suppress a lot more (which is inaccurate)

I also adjusted the sight quite a bit too (forgot to mention this)  their central vision is alot more focused with a decent 350m range, but their peripheral vision is much shorter at just 15m and alot wider. This allows you to approach them from the side, up until the 15 meter mark, then you need to move so you are going for their back otherwise they will detect you.  Also if you are nearby, and they look left or right, their peripheral vision will likely 'suspect' you, causing them to turn around!

Combine it all, and in CQB you can use building to break LOS and get behind units, but if you are seen they react immediately to your presence turning a sneaky move into a deathtrap.
Out in the fields, you can use ridges and bushes and trees to help break their detection of you and force them to look around to find you, and trees really do break their LOS so you can actually hide behind the thicker ones

TemplarGFX
Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGeneral Thu 09 Feb 2017, 01:14

Aaaah mate you are a fucking legend!

I wanna remake Nighthawk now. If only I knew how?
TheGeneral
TheGeneral
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TemplarGFX Thu 09 Feb 2017, 01:16

If you have your MSSN files you just need to reexport Razz

Once I release the DB and mods Smile

TemplarGFX
Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post by TemplarGFX Thu 09 Feb 2017, 04:19

Here is the day/night video

TemplarGFX
Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGeneral Thu 09 Feb 2017, 18:36

the stealth code was within the mssn script. It worked inconjunction with the mission so it might conflict with the AI.
TheGeneral
TheGeneral
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by dewi316 Wed 22 Feb 2017, 18:53

dewi316
dewi316
Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post by dewi316 Wed 22 Feb 2017, 18:56

http://www.moddb.com/mods/island-war-2017

Check this out, for a round up of the latest upgrades and Mods : ))
Scroll down for a great read.  cheers
dewi316
dewi316
Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post by SOGMARK5 Fri 24 Feb 2017, 18:13

About a couple years ago, I tried to get my cooperative play gaming squad, =SOG=, into the game, but it just didn't happen.  

Since I already have the game, I was thinking of getting back into it.  I know single player (SP) is already alive, but I'd really be interested in cooperative play since that is my background.

I heard there was an OFDR revival and I see multiplayer (PvP) is revived but is COOP (PvE) revived?
SOGMARK5
SOGMARK5

http://10thsog.freeforums.net/

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGeneral Fri 24 Feb 2017, 18:51

Wrong thread.
TheGeneral
TheGeneral
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGeneral Sun 26 Feb 2017, 16:38

(moved due content topic)

More feedback -

This game is incredible, far superior to the last Island War mod. I landed at Raskova Airfield and quickly took it. I moved on heading towards Taramay village along the road. The enemy AI were soon upon me again and we were surpressed. Suddenly I had friendly helos giving me instant backup, so it was a ground and air assault clearing the road ahead. It looked fantastic.
About half way to Taramay village there was a jeep and I opened fire. The enemy AI all jumped out and took immediate cover behind the jeep. I managed to take a couple out but the last too hid well and used smoke grenades for cover which was awesome. I ordered my men to flank them and watched them follow my orders to the letter while using cover and stealth.

Suddenly my game crashed -

I started up the game again and started at the airfield which was cleared (this confirmed the long play worked). I continued on the same route to Taramay village having some awesome fights along the way.
Eventually we took the village. I had provided cover, while I used the AI to flank the village while I watched from afar. Brilliant!!!

With Taramay under my control I pressed on along the road. I had another awesome battle further on and was killed through making a mistake.
I quit to the main menu and started back at the airfield which was still cleared. I wanted to know if Taramay was still under my control with it not being a start point? I headed off there again from the airfield but, again the game crashed just before reaching Taramay.

If the reload checkpoint stutter wasn't there I could have started from Taramay (the last place taken), but I can only restart at one of the 23 start points. I can assume Taramay was still mine even though I couldn't make it back there easily because of the crashes.

From the little tasters I am having with this new version, I am mightly impressed and I am ready to dedicate many hours to capture the whole island for as long as it takes. I don't mind starting at one of the 23 chackpoints if I die, as long as ALL captured places remain captured. It is just the random crashes that are mildly frustrating, especially as they happen at times when I am completely immersed.

In all, one of the best mods I have played in a long time. I am hoping to record some of my own games too.
Also, everytime I died, It was because I made a mistake and the AI took advantage of it. If you rush in, you will die. Everytime I was patient and used my head, I was rewarded and that gave me a great feeling of accomplishment. I rarely feel that way, even with modern shooters.

One final thing, when I order a medic to heal someone and they confirm its been done, the injured AI player still shows orange. If I then go heal them myself, then they go white again. Not sure if this is normal, but it is nothing major, they might have still been healed and they didn't require me going over to heal them again.
TheGeneral
TheGeneral
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by The-Hoff Sun 26 Feb 2017, 22:24

Well guys I dedicated 10 hours today in stopping OFDR from crashing randomly in game and failed miserably -

1) Reformated Windows 10, all drivers up to date.
2) Installed OFDF in the same drive as Steam and all other drives.
3) Installed the Island War mod correctly, sub mods, including the correct modded exe and correctly edited all necessary config files. ALL the in game effects work as intended.

I can play for an hour and never crash or have a string of games that crash within 5-10 minutes of playing.
I have a beast of a system that can play this at 144fps without dropping a frame ever, it is so buttery smooth while vsync'd.
Unless others are seeing these relentless crashes, then there is obviously something in my rig that isn't compatible.

The-Hoff

Back to top Go down

Post by TemplarGFX Sun 26 Feb 2017, 22:32

--edited--

Thankyou so much for sharing your experiences HOFF,  it really means alot to hear you enjoying IW as it was intended!

I believe the crash you experienced are a behavioral bug which I have fixed in the latest (not yet released) version.  Its a rare single-behavior crash which is why sometimes it does not happen for hours.

You will be glad to hear that every location loads up exactly as it was.   Say you had hit Taranay and managed to take it out of the hands of the PLA, but not actually capture it.  When you load a new game in Long Play, Taranay will be abandoned, and under nobodies control.  Both sides will send units from the nearest controlled location to try and take it once the game is setup!

I will be updating IW's download this week, and don't worry the save-games are cross-version compatible so there will be no lost progress if you begin before I update IW!

If you could help me out to verify the bug, that would be great!
Open IW2017.CFG and change "Debug Logging (all)" from 0 to 1 and then play again.
You may find performance is impacted quite a bit by turning logging on, as it outputs several megabytes of data per minute.
Just tought through the jerks and play until the game crashes.

Then open IW2017debug.txt and post the last 10-15 lines of the log here for me to look at.
While unfortunately OFDR is not very good at debugging, the last line shows the last successful thing the game did, and I can use this to determine what was to happen next (and thats where the crash is)

Last edited by TemplarGFX on Sun 26 Feb 2017, 22:59; edited 1 time in total

TemplarGFX
Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post by The-Hoff Sun 26 Feb 2017, 22:48

TemplarGFX wrote:Hi MDOG!

Thankyou so much for sharing your experiences,  it really means alot to hear you enjoying IW as it was intended!

Haha, Mdog's whole message was mine actually, he removed it from the other thread I had originally posted it, and he copied it here (check your PM's),
So they were my gameplay experiences lol!

Thanks for the advice, regarding the crashes, I will follow your requests asap. I have a few chores to do as my wife feels I haven't been very constructive in the house today, although I disagree cheers

Great news about the new update and that you have resolved the issue. If this is the case, that will be awesome.

Just going back to the long play mode, yes I did capture Taranay. - If, for example, I have taken control of all locations, including the coastal starting locations, bar one, then I quit and return later to take the remaining coastal starting location. Does that mean all the previously taken inland locations (not coastal starting locations) are all neutral again, and that the only way to take them all is in one sitting? Because when I die, I have to quit and restart because of the stutter.
OR is it, once you take control of a location it is ALWAYS yours?

The-Hoff

Back to top Go down

Post by TemplarGFX Sun 26 Feb 2017, 22:56

HA!  Oops

Every location, all 97 of them save their current status (their control score, their defender count, their fallback location and their backup location) each time you see it "save checkpoint".

This is right down to the individual soldier. And IW will recreate this on the island in a new game.  All locations under your control will be under your control, all of them held by the PLA will still be held by PLA and finally anything "abandoned" will remain abandoned (including how abandoned it is, if its only just being abandoned by the PLA, it will still be that way in a new Long Play session).  They will even get the same number of units to defend them (although the behavioural system will likely mix it up a little by the time you land)

Really the only loss of progress you get when starting a new session in Long Play is that you must deploy once more from the helo's, and that you will no longer have those allies that had joined you last run (plenty will join you when you land though to replace them)

TemplarGFX
Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post by The-Hoff Thu 02 Mar 2017, 00:19

Sorry for the late response. I was going to test again and do the Debug Logging for you, but I have just been so busy during the week. I am hoping to get on Friday evening. I am not sure if you are releasing the newer version before then, or are waiting to see what my logs reveal first. Or if you do release the new one I could just test that.

The-Hoff

Back to top Go down

Post by Brus525 Thu 13 Apr 2017, 15:23

First, great mod!  I love your work and it's the whole reason I bought OFDR on pc.

Secondly, I have a few questions about how this mod is running for me

The PLA seem to pop smoke and run at the fist sign of trouble when I attack the first target.  I felt they were more aggressive in earlier editions.  Is this intentional or am I just that good? Very Happy

The PLA don't seem to spawn as much as they used to.  In earlier editions, a nearby base was a hassle that needed to be eliminated because of the constant stream of soldiers and vehicles coming.  It was more of a constant battle and war going on.  Now, after taking the first target, nothing seems to spawn or come from the strongholds.  I might get the occasional 3 man team that is quickly eliminated.  They just seem to stop coming and I can't find the enemy after awhile.  Do I need to look harder or is the mod not functioning correctly?

Is there any way I can mod it to get more vehicles to spawn for both sides?  There are plenty of jeeps, rarely a tank especially American, and even more rarely a chopper.  I think the random chopper being called in is a really nice realistic touch though! 

This mods is great though!  I love how I can start anywhere on the island, the dialogue is new and more fun, and the graphics are top notch!  It's got me playing again and I can't believe how much I keep coming back to this game thanks to the great modders out there!

Brus525

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCj4VxICUQEDUo2wQcGT7tTQ

Back to top Go down

Post by The-Hoff Fri 09 Jun 2017, 18:35

Hey Templar. Do you know when you will be releasing the new version which fixes the 'behavioral bug' crash?
Thanks in advance Smile

The-Hoff

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2