Operation Flashpoint Dragon Rising OFDR Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

More tactical

+2
JurekCello78
TheGeneral
6 posters

Go down

More tactical Empty More tactical

Post by Guest Tue 05 Feb 2013, 10:19

Hi, I wonder if you can play co op more than 4 players if not can the moderators make it possible because there are a lot of missions where you can use tanks and choppers at the same time, you know clearing the way on the ground with a LAV + infantry and have air support. We also need air-ground guided missile mod for helicopters.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

More tactical Empty Re: More tactical

Post by Guest Tue 05 Feb 2013, 11:06

At the moment, co-op is restricted to 4 players, unless someone comes up with a mod to fix that. I have to say, it's a bit mouth-watering to think of playing a coop with ALL of my gaming buddies.
As for air-ground guided missile, the in-game SAM is guided.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGeneral Tue 05 Feb 2013, 12:31

That would be a dream if that could happen. I suppose one way around that would be to make a mulitplayer game using annihilation, infiltration, or domination (can't remember the last one, it was set on the salt flats). Anyway, a map could be built around those modes and vehilces could be used but we would have the tether zone for some games to contend with which is still a mystery.

Also, have you played Operation Nighthawk, I don't think you can't get anymore tactical than that tbh, you really need to think about what to do in that mission, if you're spotted, there is the possibilty you could die very very quickly.

It has a cause and effect type process going same with D-Day.

Unfortunately these ideas for MP now have to be played around a LAN connection or using another source that implements the use of IP addresses, like Tunngle.
TheGeneral
TheGeneral
Admin

http://maniacaldog.wix.com/keepdralive

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 05 Feb 2013, 14:03

RockCop wrote:At the moment, co-op is restricted to 4 players, unless someone comes up with a mod to fix that. I have to say, it's a bit mouth-watering to think of playing a coop with ALL of my gaming buddies.
As for air-ground guided missile, the in-game SAM is guided.

What I mean is that you can't launch air-to-surface guided missile from a helicopter, what makes them less effective.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by JurekCello78 Tue 05 Feb 2013, 18:18

Hi,

About bigger coop map there was some guy in the past who tried to build it, but I have no records on how it turned out....I think I remember it was some kind of Multiplayer map but somehow modded to have AI only on 1 side (thats just speculations, I couldn't try it out). So, in general there suppose to be 14 player possible mission. The guy's name is VengefulSpirit. He did some nice Zombie survival mission (SP/COOP) and Campaign "Heaven's Feel".

About air to ground missiles for choppers that's how it is:

By default PLA Z-10 has missiles that lock on air and ground targets (total count: 8 - besides 70mm rockets in pods).
With USMC Viper things are more complicated: in Vanilla DataBase it has only 2 AIM Sidewinders available in game (mission makers can though add in ME as much missiles [or rockets] as they want);
There is "Improved DataBase", made by ddeo (also available to download here on the Forum), where you can find 2 types of Vipers accessible in ME:
one with "Vanilla Setup"
and one with Hydra rockets pod + Hellfire missiles.
And here's tricky part: Hellfire missiles are not "guided" missiles like AIM ones. You need to be minimum 500 meters from grounbd target and it should be in "clear shot" view straight ahead, thus cooperation between pilot and gunner is very important. It's pilot who need to point chopper's nose towards target and gunner should point his crosshair for some few seconds directly on the target to kill the target.

So.... Very Happy, long story short: there are helis with air to ground missiles : PLA in Vanilla DB and Viper in Improved DB.

I hope I didn't mees anything up with the reply Wink

One more thing: I guess you think (CivMD) about karger sclae coop mission where players would spread out more on the map. Unfortunately gfame engine limitation blocks that style completely: even if you manage to disable "death on out of tether zone", after you go away from team mates more that 700 meters (i have solid records of bugs appearing at around 800 - 1km distance) game engine freaks out and you start to see rest of the players in places where they aren't and in flipped vehicles ( if they mounted any).

Can't write more atm ( need to run).

Cheers
JurekCello78
JurekCello78
Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 06 Feb 2013, 08:15

Damn, what were Codemasters thinking about when implemented tether zone! Still, I love this game due to your well done job in modding it. Thank you guys and lets KEEP DR ALIVE!
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGeneral Wed 06 Feb 2013, 22:43

On the topic of databases here, there are a few too many I think floating around, so finding the right combination of things you want could be hard. Some have better weapons, some have better vehilces some have better AI, but I don't think there is one database that has been suited to everyone as yet, including the vanilla DB.

If you plan to use the EDx and the modules that are released, you will probably have to use (in fact I'm certain you will have to use) the DB the TJ dagger has only because he has altered a couple of units to be spawned in using the mortar module.

That DB is a combination of the improved DB and Enigma's DB from years back. There are some great things in there, I particularly like the apc with the minigun attached.

with regard to the air to ground missiles, there is the Hellfire's you can use which are guided by mouse control. If you were not aware of that??

Also, the distance used for some of the missiles has been fixed in the DB that Tjdagger uses, you no longer have the 500 or whatever meters minimum distance to be able to shoot air to air anymore.

Cheers

MD
TheGeneral
TheGeneral
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 07 Feb 2013, 14:57

Mdog, could you post a link to TJ Dagger's DB as I think I'm using ddeo's and I want to make sure I've got the right one. Ta
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 07 Feb 2013, 20:53

Skaa's db includes the helfire laser guided missile. Once you get a lock it's fire and forget. I also have a variant of that system in an unreleased database. I'd still suggest a unified database for module creation, but it's going to be hard for everyone to agree on how things need to be configured. More of a starting point db so that all of the entities exist in each subsequent release of a module, eliminating the need to swap out databases every time you want to use a different module.

Cheers Very Happy
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 08 Feb 2013, 05:57

We're a small community. How about we pick 1 DB and all use it, so there are no issues with playing each others missions?
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by HomerPepsi Fri 08 Feb 2013, 07:01

RockCop wrote:We're a small community. How about we pick 1 DB and all use it, so there are no issues with playing each others missions?

Lol anyone remember the community db (I think the foundation for ddeo's aka Skaa's)? There are many variables that some of us like and others don't. For example: Gun sway. I use mouse and Keyboard. Others use 360 controller. The way the game handles the two different interfaces in terms of gun sway is not consistent. So when I would look left using a mouse the gun sways up-left sharply, look right, the gun sways down right sharply. However, use a 360 pad and you have nice smooth movement.

On the old CM boards ol' GvsE (aka Mike Scott) did not like people criticizing his 'community' DB and never listened to my complaints Sad

But I agree, it would be nice to have a standardized DB. ddeo's Improved entity db may be a good start.
HomerPepsi
HomerPepsi
Veteran

http://filebeam.com/folder/10717

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 08 Feb 2013, 07:37

HomerPepsi wrote:it would be nice to have a standardized DB. ddeo's Improved entity db may be a good start.

Sounds good to me, since thats the one I already use Smile
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGeneral Fri 08 Feb 2013, 12:44

This thread has got me thinking slightly about how tactical we can make this game.

I know there is a certain degree of it already and as far as it goes it's not bad. I'll rephrase that, its pretty awesome tbh! Better than arma I think imho. (damn I've said that sentence now!) Rolling Eyes

Tvig managed to do a multi squad element in SLT endgame adding a new dynamic to assaulting. TJ and I managed to work out things in D-Day and apply a very effective stealth element in Nighthawk. Plus he has some wicked things like the mortar bunkers which use vision detection from the AI, so if you are pinned by mortars you could be fucked making you think better on how to assault it eventually.

Is there any other ideas you guys can think off that could enhance our gaming experience that bit more and push the limits of intense fighting a little bit further.

I love thinking tactically when playing this game and managing my squads on an attack. Hence I gave you the other fireteams in Steel Diamond.

thats what this game was made to make you play like, can you think of anything else??
TheGeneral
TheGeneral
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by John J. Stevens Wed 13 Feb 2013, 10:47

What you guys are talking about is a PVP map modified to play like a COOP and YES, it would be great.

There are TWO limitations with this 1) the map has a limited area of operation which still can be used for mission specific gameplay and 2) that a PVP maps requires at least ONE human player on the other side.

The gameplay would be like the HOST would be the OTHER side and act as a general of sorts directing AI to move/defend/attack as well as HIDE HIS ASS to avoid detection, which would be ONE aspect of the game.

Whether defending a location, preventing a capture of a post to decimating the enemy would be the decision of the designer. I like the idea where the general and AI troops are on the move gathering intel from random locations while avoiding detection where the OPFOR is ding the same from their side - at some point they will meet up.

Kind of a cross between the old SectorControl mission and PVP
John J. Stevens
John J. Stevens
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 13 Feb 2013, 13:45

I like your idea on this John. BUT if I remember right, when joining a PVP, the game automatically assigns players to sides to keep the teams even. Is there a way of getting around this, so you could have 1 player controlling all the ai on 1 side and, for example 63 human players on the other side? If there is a work-around, I'd be willing to give this a try, design a mission and play as the ai general...
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by John J. Stevens Wed 13 Feb 2013, 16:18

I think I scrapped something together but never tested in an a shared network. The idea was getting the FIRST slot on the PLA side to be the HOST which would make sense (being first but not the balancing).

Remember the mission design control the player personas in the mission - but you are right maybe we need to tear apart an annihilation or other PVP mission to see how the entities are laid out.

I am pretty sure that AI is running around in these missions - where they will guard and take standard kinds of patrol/defend orders is another question that comes to mind
John J. Stevens
John J. Stevens
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by GONZO28 Fri 08 Mar 2013, 02:41

HI, i want to add also to jurecks post that i do remember that one day in the years back when the game was still hot, i joined a server that had all players on one side and all AI on other side.... i saw a 14 player with 6 or 4 squads, can't remember. But, i do remember it very clearly because i had never seen it done before. I know for sure it didnt play, but it had squads to choose from. Maybe it was a test from some one. I also would like to see it come true. And the biggest dream, port red river map onto dragon rising, lol , if it is possible... thanks you guys.

GONZO28

Back to top Go down

Post by nfmz1 Tue 12 Mar 2013, 11:11

on the DB I agree we should adopt a standard DB to use. Also I know Gonzo and I have recently dropped some cash on a new system so we are also gonna be playing ArmA 3. I love DR and will always play it but one way we can all get in game is to play ArmA as well. We could also adopt ArmA 2 free for the community as well to play this way no cost is incured to play. Just an Idea what do you all think? Also there are some great older games as well. GRAW2 SWAT4 Vegas2 are some to think of. I own em all lol so I am always game.

nfmz1
Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGeneral Tue 12 Mar 2013, 22:08

nfmz1 wrote:on the DB I agree we should adopt a standard DB to use. Also I know Gonzo and I have recently dropped some cash on a new system so we are also gonna be playing ArmA 3. I love DR and will always play it but one way we can all get in game is to play ArmA as well. We could also adopt ArmA 2 free for the community as well to play this way no cost is incured to play. Just an Idea what do you all think? Also there are some great older games as well. GRAW2 SWAT4 Vegas2 are some to think of. I own em all lol so I am always game.

You come up with some wicked ideas dude! the only problem is consistency I think?? Not sure what you guys think on this without it sounding damning.

I'll explain a bit further......

We are a community and you could in one way say we are a clan, but without actually publicly saying "we are a clan!" We've been through thick and thin with DR and we've stuck with it because of our passion for the game wouldn't you say??? I like the idea of playing Arma 2 with you guys too and also A3 and other games. I loved R6V on the consoles and I have GRAW on the Pc too. Gunna see if i can find a copy on GRAW2 online aswell becasue that was cracking on the consoles also. I'm building a new rig too at the moment, but for now I've upgraded my GPU so my games are running better now, so I'm more likely to play more online when I get the chance to sync timezones etc.

My main point is rather in line with the title of this thread and mixed with your comment on playing to gether on these types of games. Would I be right in saying that we want to play a type of game where we know where I team mates are what their actions are going to be when say entering a building, how we approach various situationos we know who has what role etc, how we use terrain, what stances to take and how fast or slow to take that terrain i,e the crest of a hill. I could go on forever about tactics and teamplay but if you look at teams like Shack-tac in A2 and 15th MEU realism unit to name but a lot out there, they play together all the time. Now they are switching to A3 also.

would I be missing your point if I thought you would like us to play together to develop to something like that when we play these games?

I'm not against it, I'd love to play these games like this with people I know already even if I haven't heard your voices yet fully and got to know you but at least we get a general idea of someone over the forum anyway. Consistency in that respect needs to be full on for us to be able to develop like that. If that is the bigger picture anyway?

This was one reason why myself a Tj developed Nighthawk into the mission it was because of that type of game play.

I might be missing the point here I think I'm not sure I'm rambling and I have heavy metal in my ears so I'm not thinking straight????
Probably more I wanna say but I can't think at the moment affraid

cheers

MD
TheGeneral
TheGeneral
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down