Operation Flashpoint Dragon Rising OFDR Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

ambient sounds

5 posters

Go down

ambient sounds Empty ambient sounds

Post by dewi316 Wed 06 Feb 2013, 19:45

More ideas, sometimes inbetween engagements with the enemy the atmosphere can seem a little flat at times, that got me thinking could you include some generic radio chatter, to give the effect of a bigger battle taking place elsewhere, this i appreciate would have to be done very subtly, like the birds singing in the game this would be used as an ambient sound too add atmosphere,and set at a very low audio level as not to detract you from the game in any way. This could be set on a random timer to burst into life every threeminutes or so and run for 20 seconds lets say. If there was any important speech too be heard in game this of course would be cut off so you could hear the message. Also there is no rain featured in the game i was wondering if you could use some rain sounds,thunder and lightning to also add atmosphere. If used on a night mission i think this could work as you dont really see rain in the dark,but the sound might create the illusion, could also turn down the pla awareness as they would not hear you as well , stealth missions. For rain effects during the day maybe use fog reduced visability combined with the rain thunder and lightning sound effects might create a rain like atmosphere. The radio chatter can be heard on youtube it comes from the programme Generation Kill, as well as the rain thunder and lightning effects just some ideas.
cheers dewi
dewi316
dewi316
Veteran

Back to top Go down

ambient sounds Empty Re: ambient sounds

Post by JurekCello78 Wed 06 Feb 2013, 20:37

Hi dewi Smile

I guess there's something already like that in ME files.
If I remember well there are around 2 sound effects already: bombing and bombing with firefight in the background. I think it can be triggered just like particle effects. They are really nice and gives more intense feeling that something still goes on on the Island Smile. If you maybe remember loading screen from Game start, when you need to press Enter to Open main game's menu. There's alone USMC soldier on the right side of the screen and interaction button on the left bottom corner. While in that screen you should be able to hear one of these effects Wink

Cheers
JurekCello78
JurekCello78
Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post by dewi316 Wed 06 Feb 2013, 21:56

Nice one jurekCello78 thats exactly what i meant, and theres some radio chatter there,only trouble is theres that throat singing drowning out the radio chatter and the bomb noises,dont get me wrong i like the throat singing but i dont think it works ingame,if someone could seperate the vocal and leave the rest ingame Very Happy i think it adds bags more character to the game mod makers.
dewi316
dewi316
Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post by JurekCello78 Wed 06 Feb 2013, 22:21

Very Happy haha yeah that would be a bit weird Very Happy But that sound (minus throat singing and random radio chatter) is to use by Missin Editors. You just need to place it somewhere on the map and put trigger zone attached to it and you have a distant bombing sound ingame.
JurekCello78
JurekCello78
Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGeneral Wed 06 Feb 2013, 22:29

man you seem to reading my mind lately! Well......... for the past six months now I have been toying around with custom sounds and as of yet not found anything solid I want to use for a mission.

That said.... doesn't mean I haven't had any success.... because I have! and I will say the success I have had has greatly increased a number of sound possibilities. The only reason I haven't shown anybody yet is because I like to show people things when they are released if I get the chance to.

What I will say I have achieved is ..

Thunder fx
Zombie moans and groans.
ability to trgger sound fx when you are hit. (not hard that tbh, but I never thought I could do that one)

And the one thing that CM have categorically stated could not be done with DR is playing custom soundtracks. I managed to get one of my own songs into the game and I then managed to place the soundtrack to 28 days later into a test file for my zombie mod. song is called In a Heartbeat. you may know it if you've seen the film. If not you can deffo find it on youtube.

anyway, back to your ideas dewi! I have plans to do all those things you are talking about right to the letter. I just need to find the right suitable radio chatter for the various things in game. I am particularly looking for a helo radio chatter and stuff for armoured columns aswell as the ambient combat sounds. So if you can find any, pass them my way for me to have a play with. I'll look up the generation kill stuff though aswell.

On top of this I was talking to Tvig yesterday about a module that could incorporate sound fx. He is a closet sound engineer for musicians believe it or not so he has been able to make sound bytes of his own voice and mix it with the radio static that is needed. I suggested that maybe we could devise a script of some sort and get so custom lines going for it. But there is a certain issue with creating sequential sentences at the moment I can't remember what it is though.

I also suggest the thought of if you are flying a helo you could have an alarm go of in the cockpit to say you could be flying to low to the ground and the altimeter alert goes of. random ambush sound fx could possibly go into it also.

I gotta say, its great you are thinking like this because you are beginning to generate more ideas for stuff that hasn't been done before and now with the EDx and the ease of mission making, these can possibly be made true.

cheers

MD
TheGeneral
TheGeneral
Admin

http://maniacaldog.wix.com/keepdralive

Back to top Go down

Post by Palyarmerc Fri 16 Aug 2013, 03:21

If there was anything more likely to stop me playing this game long term (not that I ever got that far) it would be the continual howling wind.
How on earth did you people put up with that all these years?
There's a movie that has this as a central theme with people eventually going nuts!!!
Can this ambient sound be silenced?
Palyarmerc
Palyarmerc

http://nomandown.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by John J. Stevens Sat 17 Aug 2013, 00:33

you can turn down EFFECTS but mission designers have other sounds to choose from as well - generally, I only use the howling winds in the plains and near the ridgeline
John J. Stevens
John J. Stevens
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Palyarmerc Sat 17 Aug 2013, 10:22

The wind seemed to be linked to the environment sounds. If I turned it off, I don't get the birds  'n stuff but can still hear my footsteps. Turned up a little, and there's the wind again, low in the valleys, high on the ridges.
One of the only times in my life I ever 'heard' the wind was during a gusty April on Mull. 
In OFDR it's annoyingly constant.
I mean, maybe they went to the real Island to design the game, and said 'hey, it's always windy here, better put that in'.
I was hoping (and I know we don't have all the folder locations/xml's) to replace it with a silent soundwave. Oh well.
Palyarmerc
Palyarmerc

http://nomandown.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by dewi316 Sat 17 Aug 2013, 17:06

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=xtqpA_O3SYQ

why not replace the wind with some great radio chatter!

DRAGON 1 COPY...
dewi316
dewi316
Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down