Operation Flashpoint Dragon Rising OFDR Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SARS 150 and others

5 posters

Go down

SARS 150 and others Empty SARS 150 and others

Post by John J. Stevens Sat 22 Jun 2013, 13:19

Looking for players comments regarding the "150" mission and a few other related game play questions. 

Do you prefer long mission format (>45min+) over the short mission (<45min) format?

Do you prefer sandbox style missions with evolving/optional objectives or fixed objective based missions with a clear goal?

Do you prefer "take no prisoners" assault, front line/sweep and clear, or a tactical/stealth approach?

Regarding mission time of day, unlimited weapons cache, equipment, and reinforcements  - do you prefer to have in mission control of these or have them randomized making you work with what you have?

Thanks for any input or even ideas that may not be covered here - hopefully this can help with future missions being considered.
John J. Stevens
John J. Stevens
Admin

Back to top Go down

SARS 150 and others Empty Re: SARS 150 and others

Post by Palyarmerc Sat 22 Jun 2013, 15:06

30-40 minutes can seem a long time when you have lots to accomplish. If there's lots of travelling, with rest periods for player chat and re-organisation then it could stretch to an hour 15.

Personally I prefer clear goals. Sandbox to me is just too chaotic, usually involves me arriving after all the action has taken place. I end up feeling more like a Journalist than a Soldier.

I think both can be implemented into a Mission. Bit o' stealth, combined with a huge gun battle ambush, full frontal assault or defense of a position, it all works provided the back-story/ reason for the objective is clear.

I truly believe having limited weapon options is important. Having to work with what you have or find alternative ways to overcome the enemy. Reward the inventiveness. The sense of accomplishment is greater.

I remember playing two missions in particular that impressed me. The one had a specific event happening at a specific time. A lot of waiting around or a huge hurry-up! depending on how well you completed previous tasks. Another, where you 'slept' using a script to speed up the day-night cycle, transforming a quiet town into a hub of enemy activity.

Story and Atmosphere. Plenty of effects both visual and audio. The closer to game-developer level mission scripting, the better.
Palyarmerc
Palyarmerc

http://nomandown.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by dewi316 Sun 23 Jun 2013, 18:40

For me a mission with a clear set of goals are best.
One of my favourites is Nighthawk, love the stealth element in that mission. Random spawn enemy and combined with patrols keep things fresh.
Great how the enemy start on a lower sense of alert, but fire an audible shot, or random patrols find a dead body and there sense of alert goes ultra. "genius".
For me this is how all enemy AI should act.

It's been said before, a good mix of stealth to start, huge gun battle, defend position from counter attack, wait for helo extraction.

Don't know if this is possible, "sure it could be done" speed the time clock up quite a bit. ( 1 minute of game time equals 15 mins.  clocktime) So that 4 mins.  equalled 1 hour clock time.
This is so you could show off the great look of the game at different times. Also on mission you may choose to wait for a night assault, to put the odds in you're favour. ("Turn enemy vision down at night")

As regards enemy weapons caches, make it real in towns and bases leave a small arms cache to discover.
Also leave a jeep or transport to get to the next objective sometimes.

There is so much the community have developed for this game, and I think the next big objective is bringing all these elements together. If you can use half these mods your on a winner.
A good example of this is TJDagger's bunker module, villages and existing encampments can become quite formidable fortresses using a little imagination.
Combine this with a random spawn module to keep things fresh, also have some patrol paths around the base.
These are the things that keep me playing this truly great game.
dewi316
dewi316
Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post by John J. Stevens Mon 24 Jun 2013, 20:27

I mentioned the longer format missions simply because they take on a level of commitment by the players in a COOP mission.

I personally know that humpin over the hillside of Skira, not knowing if there may be an enemy patrol nearby puts the mission on edge. 

More so, when a squad member hears the sound of some mech or chopper blades in the distance and you need to find cover while you determine direction.

The point is a missions like SARS 100 where you have to punch out for the day is too too long - short mission skirmishes lack the moments between firefights to plan your action. 

Somewhere in between is that span that makes you cautious enough between checkpoints while knowing that as you make it to the next objective you have increased your probability of being ambushed.
John J. Stevens
John J. Stevens
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by nfmz1 Wed 26 Jun 2013, 12:47

I like missions that have a goal. I also don't want a mission that takes 3 hours. As a dad and family man I don't have that kind of time usually. As for SAR's missions he made some good missions but alot of them are cookie cuter missions meaning the same mission in a different spot with a new name. Some are also un-winnable it seems.

nfmz1
Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post by JoeDogs Wed 26 Jun 2013, 23:08

Tru! And the Mortar driving me crasy!!Mad

JoeDogs
Veteran

https://www.facebook.com/JoeDogs-Channel-874283856100522

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content