Operation Flashpoint Dragon Rising OFDR Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Very low level of detail with GFX at Max?

4 posters

Go down

Very low level of detail with GFX at Max? Empty Very low level of detail with GFX at Max?

Post by RipVanWinkle Tue 22 Jan 2013, 06:14

Hi
Just got back into this game.
Hope someone can help.
The level of detail on vehicles and draw distance is very low until very
close to helis, tanks etc ie on helis no rotor blades are visible until
I am almost beside them and the detail of the vehicles is low until almost beside them ie they are blurry.
I have all graphics setting at full.
NB: How I take a screen shot in game?

Windows 7 64 bit
8GB Ram
nVidia GTX460 1GB

Thanks

RipVanWinkle

Back to top Go down

Very low level of detail with GFX at Max? Empty Re: Very low level of detail with GFX at Max?

Post by HomerPepsi Tue 22 Jan 2013, 06:38

Are you affected by a resolution cap? If so download AcidX's res cap fix/mod enabled exe.

http://filebeam.com/87459f95b1fd133d1cfc78d155eba318

If that doesn't fix it you can goto C:\Users\**YOU**\Documents\My Games\OFDR\hardwaresetting and edit the hardware_settings_config.xml.

I have the best graphics that I can work out with this ini so heres mine. Also, once I found a way to extend the LOD distance for soldiers... But I cannot recall how I did it. Let me snoop around.

Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?>
<hardware_settings_config version="8">
    <graphics_card>
        <resolution width="1680" height="1050" aspect="1.600000" fullscreen="true" vsync="0" oldWidth="800" oldHeight="600">
            <refreshRate rate="60" />
        </resolution>
        <gamma level="0.500000" />
        <msaa type="8xmsaa" />
    </graphics_card>
    <graphics_detail level="custom" />
    <coverage tolerance="0.000000" />
    <ground_cover lodScale="0.700000" tilesPerLOD="256" />
    <shadows enabled="true" size="4096" maskQuality="2" />
    <bulk_trees tiles="5.000000" />
    <animation quality="2" />
    <particles quality="2" />
    <textures quality="1" filtering="16" anisoLevel="16" />
</hardware_settings_config>
HomerPepsi
HomerPepsi
Veteran

http://filebeam.com/folder/10717

Back to top Go down

Very low level of detail with GFX at Max? Empty Re: Very low level of detail with GFX at Max?

Post by RipVanWinkle Tue 22 Jan 2013, 09:40

Hi
Thanks for your quick reply.
I edited the file but the
'tilesPerLOD' resets itself to 24
and 'bulk_trees tiles' to 3 after starting game.
tilesPerLOD was originally 81 I think and I entered 256 as in your config.
I don't know if this affects it but as its a LOD setting I assume it does.
I have no resolution problems but definitely the draw distance is very low. Vehicles don't render until about 2 meters from them!!!

My config
Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?>
<hardware_settings_config version="8">
    <graphics_card>

<resolution width="1920" height="1080" aspect="1.777777"
fullscreen="true" vsync="0" oldWidth="1280" oldHeight="1024">
            <refreshRate rate="59" />
        </resolution>
        <gamma level="0.680000" />
        <msaa type="8xmsaa" />
    </graphics_card>
    <graphics_detail level="custom" />
    <coverage tolerance="0.000000" />
    <ground_cover lodScale="0.700000" tilesPerLOD="24" />
    <shadows enabled="true" size="4096" maskQuality="2" />
    <bulk_trees tiles="3" />
    <animation quality="2" />
    <particles quality="2" />
    <textures quality="1" filtering="16" anisoLevel="16" />
</hardware_settings_config>

RipVanWinkle

Back to top Go down

Post by JurekCello78 Tue 22 Jan 2013, 10:45

Hi,

I think, it's probably blocked by (if you have one) your's Display Driver's 3D graphic settings. I had this thing with my ATI Catalyst Control Centre. Try to find it and check if its on default and if you can set higher.
I remember with my specs (SONY VAIO laptop: Intel Dual Core Duo - 2.2GHz; RAM - 4GB; ATI Radeon Mobility HD 4570-512MB) I could run this game at max settings (with tweaked hardwaresettings file), exept "shadow lenght" set at 250.
I don't say that I had good fps Very Happy I had actually solid 20 or 16 fps when ingame and when seeing from close distance or walking through smoke I had solid 9 or even 2 fps Very Happy:D .
Anyway most probably what you need to check is your graphic driver (display driver) settings if they don't cancell any "application's" settings.

Cheers
JurekCello78
JurekCello78
Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post by RipVanWinkle Tue 22 Jan 2013, 20:34

Hi
Thanks for reply.
Checked the nVidia control panel, all settings as should be but set up a game specific profile anyway, no change to game.
Would like to take a screenshot to show what I mean but don't know how and can't find how to anywhere!!!
I have a custom mission with lots of vehicles so wondering if that's the problem, but even on the Island tour mission hen not too far from helis or tanks they pop out to low detail. Had read somwhere that supposed to be 35km draw distance but I see trees fading out way before that.

Cheers

RipVanWinkle

Back to top Go down

Post by JurekCello78 Tue 22 Jan 2013, 21:12

Well, about 35km draw distance...with clear weather you can see whole Island, there's no other game with such possibilities.
Terrain overgrowth loading distance on the other hand is something different. It's maximum value i think is about 3km for trees and grass around 75 meters maybe.
I don't really remember propper values for max cause I had to lower things myself (using "craptop" ;P).
I remember having problems with loading details on nearby vehicles too. With textures higher there shouldn't be problem on that.
I would also check in game settings for Anisotropic thing at the bottom in the "Advanced Option" column. Maybe all you need to change it to on of 2 other optional filtering.
JurekCello78
JurekCello78
Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGeneral Tue 22 Jan 2013, 22:05

Hi mate! Welcome to the forum.

First off, taking a screen print is not that hard to do. this should work without pausing the game. Press left or right control and print screen. print screen should be above the insert button on the right of your keyboard. Then go into paint open a new file, press control and V that should paste it into the paint application for you. Crop to picture in there and save it to your pictures and then post it up here.

If ya stuck for posting pics up here. When you post a thread you should have icons above your text box. You need the one that shows a picture behind a disc, thats the Host Image button. Press that and upload it. Once its uploaded copy and paste the second URL you get into your post. preview it to check your image is there and shows us what you have.

second: the game has a max entity limit of 65. this includes all UNITS, VEHICLES, and UNITS IN VEHICLES. You may need to spawn and despawn appropiately so that you get the full use of the units and vehicles.

Thirdly: I have my game on low/medium settings, if I go any higher than 800 resolution on it I'll lag with big effects to gameplay. I also play on windowed too, which gives me a smoother play and all the details are there. I actually making do because I have plans to build a better pc soon. I have no Antialiasing, and I set my vsync on also.

Try running the game a a few lower settings in the resolution just as a test and see what happens.

MD
TheGeneral
TheGeneral
Admin

http://maniacaldog.wix.com/keepdralive

Back to top Go down

Post by RipVanWinkle Fri 25 Jan 2013, 00:17

Hi took some screenshots.
All graphics settings at max, resolution 1920x1080.
Tell me what you think.

Below is a mission I made with about 20 different vehicles in it, maybe that's why it so blurry even up close?

Very low level of detail with GFX at Max? Mymiss11

Below, same mission as above showing view distance from heli.

Very low level of detail with GFX at Max? Mymiss12

Below is pic of the island tour mission.
Tanks ARE detailed here at much further distance but helis aren't, eg no rotor blades.

Very low level of detail with GFX at Max? Tour11

And pic below just a couple of steps forward and the rotor blades and details pop into view.

Very low level of detail with GFX at Max? Tour210

Cheers

RipVanWinkle

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGeneral Fri 25 Jan 2013, 00:43

might sound like dumb question but have you tried lowering your settings at all? To a point where you get the max detail and it not being how it is.
TheGeneral
TheGeneral
Admin

http://maniacaldog.wix.com/keepdralive

Back to top Go down

Post by JurekCello78 Fri 25 Jan 2013, 01:36

I guess I had the same problem year ago when wanted to test all possible vehicles available through ME.
I've put them all together on one beach between Lartskoye and Skira Lighthouse.
So, what happened is some of vehicles wouldn't even load up leaving mounted guns visible and at close distance interaction texts ("Gunner", "Driver" etc.etc.).
And this was also with middle high details and shadows on and I have no clue why they wouldn't all load at the same time. And if they loaded they'd be the same undetailed as on your screenshots.
JurekCello78
JurekCello78
Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post by RipVanWinkle Fri 25 Jan 2013, 15:25

Hi

Thanks for the replies guys.
Mdog, I have tried many different graphics setting and all result in the same on this mission with lots of vehicles put on map at the airport place.
JurekCello, I reckon it must be the number of vehicles then, thought even on the Island Tour mission the helis aren't showing details at a reasonable distance considering this game is supposed to have a 35km/mile (?) view distance.
Looks like it is just the way it is and not something I'm doing wrong.

Cheers

RipVanWinkle

Back to top Go down

Post by JurekCello78 Fri 25 Jan 2013, 22:16

np man,

Thoguht so myself about vehicles. About 35km view distance I have to repeat Very Happy : It's just in such way that you could see Volcano from Airfield when hovering around 200 meters above it with clear weather in midday.Other than that it's just game's engine limitation: trees and objects loading at around 3km away, grass at around 100meters and bullets dissapearing at around 2km away. There's also reason why they've put "tether zone" (small circle in right bottom cornerof the screen) into COOP Mode. It prevents game from glitches (when being about 1km away from your teammates you start seing them right beside you and sometimes upside down - vehicles). The only difference between DR and other games at this point is that other games dont have such view distance and they are hiding some unloaded terrein to not overload RAM (i guess so atleast): Battlefield series and ARMA; with exception for ARMA which has view distance increased but still nothing to compare with DR Smile
JurekCello78
JurekCello78
Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down